Kristin's Reviews > Noah's Wife

Noah's Wife by T.K. Thorne

Feb 27, 2011

Read from February 12 to 27, 2011

This book was a completely different sort than I normally read, but when my cousin gave it to me, I figued I'd give it a try. Biblical stories generally aren't my thing mainly because I don't like books set outside of modern times and have never studied the Bible, but I know the bare basics of the story of Noah, and the plot sounded intriguing.
The book drew me in despite my initial reservations, and I applaud the author for writing the book in such a way to accomplish that. She kept the characters simple, with the narrator being Noah's wife, who is afflicted with what is now known as Asperger's Syndrome and tells things as they are and how someone might view the world through such a perspective. I did have a bit of difficulty with exact chronology, as the book is broken down into sections where Na'amah would write about large chapters in her life that had occurred since she wrote the last one but she did often mention how many summers old she was at a certain time and I suppose that is the best way to handle time when clocks, calendars, and the like did not yet exist as we know them now. Overall, I found the book very well-written.
As I read this book, it reminded me of the RPGs I've played for 20+ years, which helped me with the imagery of what was going on, as those games are often set in primitive socities, so that is how I envision ancient times to be. I could picture an RPG being made of this book, though I feel the plot is a little too 'tight' for the game to be made exactly as the book plays out. Still, it wouldn't be too difficult to go from a child tending sheep, to a teenager taken captive by theives, to an 'old woman' on a quest to save her people from a pending flood.
I would be interested to see what sort of book the author writes next. If it's another one set in ancient times, I can't say I'd want to read it, because while one book was a nice diversion, the Noah and Asperger's angle were the only things that brought me to it in the first place. I do like the author's style, so if she goes more modern, say 20th century, I'd give it a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah's Wife.