Nicky Charles's Reviews > Make Me, Sir

Make Me, Sir by Cherise Sinclair

Feb 12, 11

Another wonderful addition to the Shadowlands series. I liked the longer length of this story, the mystery involved, the spunky 'brattiness' of Gaby and of course, Master Marcus. You really can see Sinclair's growth as an author in this book. It's more complex, has good subplots and the characters have more depth. And of course, it's exciting that she left the door open for more stories to spin off from this one.

For me, the one thing that 'makes' Cherise's books is the way she portrays her doms. They are masterful dominant men BUT, and this is the big one for me, they are caring. We see the aftercare, the tenderness, the thinking that goes on as they try to understand the sub, the way they check the fit of the cuffs, communicate about limits and safe words, the constant watching and observing of the women in order to 'read' them and ensure the female's pleasure before their own etc

Too often in BDSM books, the men are plain and simple abusive jerks out for their own gratification. They treat the women like dirt and show no real care beyond a few platitudes that seem to be thrown in at the last minute. There's too much emphasis on the sex acts and not enough on creating characters we can actually fall in love with. Cherise Sinclair has risen above this, setting a higher standard that I only wish other BDSM authors would try to reach.

Nicky Charles

p.s. One of the other reviewers mentioned that this book seemed a bit more violent than the others. I'm not sure about that. Perhaps, but it could also be that the story is dealing with a crime and everything can't be light and fluffy or it wouldn't be as real. I will admit that the first part of the book made me feel a tad uncomfortable and I wasnt sure why but then it came to me. The female lead is uncomfortable and Sinclair is conveying this to the reader through her descriptions of the club activities as seen by that character!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make Me, Sir.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca Great review. I really enjoyed this book as well.

Nicky Charles Thanks! As I said, Sinclair is one of the few BDSM writers I like.

message 3: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi I'm curious if you read the Fifty Shades of Grey series and what you thought of them.

Nicky Charles Mitzi wrote: "I'm curious if you read the Fifty Shades of Grey series and what you thought of them."

I started to read 50 Shades - got about 1/2 through it and then never went back. When I was reading it, it was okay but it didn't draw me in and make me anxious to get back to the story when I set it down. Perhaps because it was too fantastical (young multi-billionaire who can do everything perfectly) or maybe it was all the hype I'd heard ahead of time that made me less interested. I know I didn't see the 'caring' that Cherise conveys and that had me frowning a few times!

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Sims Nicky wrote: "Thanks! As I said, Sinclair is one of the few BDSM writers I like."

I so agree with you and can not wait for her next one!