Ruth's Reviews > Virals

Virals by Kathy Reichs

Apr 09, 11

Read on April 09, 2011

Ten Reasons Why This Book Is Better Than Maximum Ride-Hunger Games-Gone-Everythingelse

1. It blends science, superpowers, and mystery. Crossover genre books are the bomb.

2. These kids whoop ass. Literally. When they SNAP, all heck breaks loose.

3. The characters are very well done. Maybe a little iffy with the side characters, but it's easy to sympathize with Tory and the Pack.

4. Virals is very informative in the science area without turning into a Bill Nye episode.

5. THE MYSTERY!! Loved it and very intricately written out!

6. I loved the face that Reichs didn't entirely focus the book on Tory and her friends when they got their powers. That would have totally turned into a Maximum Ride copycat. But this book isn't like Maximum Ride in the fact that all these people are easily relateable. You can't exactly compare with bird-winged kids who are basically super-fly ninjas, can you? But you CAN compare yourself with someone like roly-poly Hi, or nerdy Shelton, or even moody Ben. Plus, Reichs added in teen characters who were actually pretty intelligent. Brain power rules.

7. Gee golly, wolf-spiked DNA? Well it's more believable than fallen angels, I do believe.

8. Virals is a ruby in a bucket of diamonds. In other words, it completely stands out among the washed out, idea-has-already-been-done-before YA books that are floating around in which they all have Dazzlingly Spectacular covers but no substance.

9. I can honestly say that I did NOT see the end coming at me. Whoa, total shocker.

10. The ending looks open for a sequel!! I WANT MORE!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virals.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt Not sure I liked this one as much as you did, but I did enjoy it. ANYWAY, you should read the next one in the series and post a review.

Ruth Matt wrote: "Not sure I liked this one as much as you did, but I did enjoy it. ANYWAY, you should read the next one in the series and post a review."

I did. Didn't like it as much :P

message 3: by Matt (last edited Mar 21, 2014 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matt Ruth wrote: "Matt wrote: "Not sure I liked this one as much as you did, but I did enjoy it. ANYWAY, you should read the next one in the series and post a review."

I did. Didn't like it as much :P"

Juuust making sure.

message 4: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica There is a sequel, actually. Have you read it yet?

message 5: by Bella (new)

Bella This is the review I find most accurate. I hadn't read Bones before I picked up Virals, so I can't help but find some of these reviews rather prejudiced. I think Virals will be a great series on its own.

message 6: by Ruth (last edited Apr 08, 2014 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Jessica wrote: "There is a sequel, actually. Have you read it yet?
PS. I agree with the ending, i really didn't expect it. I'm also happy the book didn't turn into a sappy romance, as I have seen other YA books do."

I have! I wrote this quite a while ago before the sequel and the rest of the series came out. Haven't gotten to reading the third book yet!

Celaena Your review fits this best, I think. I completely agree with the fact that the ending was completely unexpected, which loved. You can't find that very easily anymore. I am a bit of a romance fan, but I completely loved this book regardless of that. It kept me excited and anticipating trouble throughout, which is something I must have in a book. I rarely ever read slow books because they take forever (for me) to read.
I really liked the fact that she (Kathy Reichs) included scientific bits. I enjoy learning in a fun way.