Jeannine's Reviews > The Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, Volume lll: Narnia, Cambridge, and Joy 1950-1963

The Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, Volume lll by C.S. Lewis

Mar 02, 11

Read from February 12 to March 02, 2011

I've never read a complete book of someone's letters but I'm glad I plugged away at this one - it was fascinating to witness this man's life and the intricacies of his work and relationships through his correspondence. That said, there were many letters I completely skipped over, mostly having to do with his work at Oxford, then Cambridge, detailed letters about medeival literature, mythology, and epic poetry. The letters that most intrigued me are available in other, more focused collections (Letters to Children, etc).

Professor Lewis viewed his letter writing as a duty tied in with his faith, but it was a burden to him (he gets particularly grumbly about it during Christmas). Still he plugged away at it, responding to each one, writing with a dip pen and ink (he eschewed even fountain pens).

I'm glad I hung in here with this. As an admirer of Mr. Lewis since I was a small girl, reading these letters only validated that my admiration of this learned, thoughful man is well well placed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Letters of C. S. Lewis, Volume lll.

02/25/2011 page 982
53.0% "I've made it to 1958. I admit, ahem, I skim many of the longer letters about mythology and really drink up the more personal letters, the bits about the weather and canned hams. Addicting."