Sue Brown's Reviews > Faster Than the Speed of Light

Faster Than the Speed of Light by Lucius Parhelion

Feb 12, 11

bookshelves: gay-fic

** spoiler alert ** I reviewed this for Torquere. This wonderful story begins with college graduate Frank and his new boss, young physics genius Doctor Courtland, in jail after a raid on a lavender bar. Set in post-war America, this is the tale of widowed Frank, back from the army and just about to take up a post-graduate position under the watchful of eye of his genius boss and half the F.B.I. The G-men are watching Doctor Courtland, Frank is watching Doctor Courtland and Courtland is most definitely watching Frank.

As he negotiates his way through the minefield of being homosexual in the forties and the politics of working in physics post Hiroshima, Frank finds his life becomes more entwined with Doctor Courtland, from co-authoring articles, to debugging his office and dealing with the other senior staff.

I adored this tale of the complexities of life in post-war America. The scene is skillfully set, so evocative of the era, with the suspicious politics and the need to be discreet about not only being homosexual but also Frank and Courtland's growing attraction to each other.

I was drawn into Frank's world, the people he worked with in the college and the way they all revolved around their young department head, Doctor Courtland. What made this book particularly good for me was the way the two men used language of physics to talk when they weren't sure who was listening.

The sexual tension between the two men is evident from the beginning and I loved the way Frank had to gently and constantly remind Courtland that he really shouldn't be flirting with his junior. Courtland, however, doesn't pay too much attention and he certainly managed to get under Frank's skin.

I found myself cheering on the two men to throw caution to the wind and take that final step. I really wasn't disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faster Than the Speed of Light.