Debbie's Reviews > Homeboyz

Homeboyz by Alan Sitomer

Feb 12, 2011

liked it
Read from February 08 to 12, 2011 , read count: 1

I met Alan Sitomer at a conference, actually ate dinner next to him one night, and he is not at all like the person I imagine who could write this book. Not completely, anyway.

I've begun reading Homeboyz 3 or 4 times, but thanks to one of my students' interests in what I'm reading, I've always lost it and had to restart. (And every time I've restarted, I've had to buy a new copy because the other one was "permanently borrowed.") I've finally gotten through the whole thing, and I've gotta say - Alan knows his high school students (particularly his boys) and what they want to read. This book is full of violence, a fair amount of well-timed cursing, and some tough decisions, but I think it's all fairly realistic. And though the book has a happy ending, it didn't end the way I expected it to end, and I think I respected the characters - even the "bad guys" - all the more for it. I feel like there's more Sitomer wants to tell about the Anderson family, though, so I hope this is not the end of the Hoopster series.

I don't need to read this book again, and I don't plan to recommend it to my non-teacher friends, but it was a good read all the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homeboyz.