Tam's Reviews > Gambling On Maybe

2620907
Feb 12, 2011

bookshelves: m-m
Read in February, 2011

This was a wonderful short little read that suffered from … being too short, ending too quickly, leaving me desperate for more. However, Zach is exactly the kind of character I love. He’s sparkly and optimistic and proud of who he is and has no regrets. He’s not ashamed of himself or his life and doesn’t care if others don’t like it. That kind of thing totally confuses straight-laced cop Stephen whose spent most of his career coming off as the straight confirmed bachelor. He’s been happy with that for all his life but suddenly Zach makes him question his life and if there could be more.

Zach can read Stephen like a book, he knows exactly what Stephen wants and while he could have come across as a vain vapid party-boy, he does care about Stephen and tries to do what is the best for him, even if it breaks his own heart in the process. Perhaps the reason I liked Zach so much was he has the traits that I think some of us wish we had, very true to ourselves, not getting bogged down in the minutiae and just enjoying life to the fullest. He seemed very free in how he lived his life and I think that attracted Stephen as well.

I really wanted to see Stephen deal with that frightening aspect of having a personal life that may not be looked at favourably at work. I wanted to see him confront the cop who chased Zach off in the guise of helping Stephen’s career. I just wanted to see them make a go of it. I am hoping the author is planning a sequel for the two. While it ends very much on a hopeful note, I want to truly see them get their happy ending. When you need a smile in your day, this is the perfect short read to lift your spirits.

The reason I did not give this a higher rating despite loving it was because I was just left feeling a bit short-changed by how it abruptly it ended when they were just getting started.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gambling On Maybe.