Scott's Reviews > Renegade's Magic

Renegade's Magic by Robin Hobb

Feb 15, 11

Read from February 12 to 14, 2011

A great conclusion to a wonderful trilogy. The world that Robin Hobb crafted for these books is astounding, it manages to be familiar yet foreign at the same time, but for the addition of magic I could of been reading a historical novel set in a fictional kingdom of our own world. From Nevares childhood home in the plains, the Cavalla Academy at Old Thares where his taught to be an Officer for the Gernian Cavalry, to the Fort of Getty's at the edge of the Gernian empire, a great forest shadows Getty's, and remains the only thing standing between the Kings Road and the western coast. All of these locales are so richly detailed that I couldn't help but be drawn into the world every time I opened the book. The parallels between Gernia and almost any great Empire of the past is thought provoking and the presentation of magic in a modern world (modernish) is so easily believable.

To me, the Soldier Son trilogy was less about the story and more about enjoying the world and characters presented. At times the narrative will slow down to the point that it may seem like it's all but come to a grinding halt, especially in the second book "Forest Mage". But I found that it didn't hinder my experience at all, on the contrary, I think the languid pace helped to portray the great transitions that the protagonist Nevare goes through from the first title to the second. That's not to say that the story is not engaging, it's actually quite a compelling tale about the meeting of two very differing cultures and a young man who's left to unwillingly straddle the fence between both peoples.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three books, it was a great journey and I'm glad that I was able to experience Gernia and the people that reside in her boarders, if only through the pages of a book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renegade's Magic.