Kat's Reviews > Hipster Christianity: When Church and Cool Collide

Hipster Christianity by Brett McCracken

Feb 12, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction-science-and-sociology
Read in November, 2010

I decided to give this book a try because I was becoming increasingly aware that I might actually be part of the "Hipster Christian" generation: the so-called "emergent church". Little did I know that my church was actually included as an example of a "hipster church" in it (and was the only British church to feature significantly). That was unsettling. I don't think our leadership are too comfortable about that either.

Proximity to subject aside, it was interesting reading the history and drive behind some of the current thinking and common features that have emerged but what McCracken failed to cover was the massive differences in ideology between several of these churches that might be superficially similar (or not so, in several of the cases). While the two famous Mars Hill churches in the US are both held up as examples of hipster churches, their doctrines are entirely different - to the point that Mark Driscoll of one has been known to call Rob Bell of the other a heretic.

The warnings that McCracken gives of what can happen when churches chase cool are fair and make for food for thought but I feel his brush is frequently too broad and particularly (if unsurprisingly) USA-centric.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hipster Christianity.