meredith's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Feb 12, 11

liked it
Read in January, 2011

I like John Green's writing, I really do.
His young adult fiction is smart, funny and contains the occasional profound moment or 'deep thought' that makes you reread a paragraph.
dud
But.
I definitely am noticing that his novels are too darn similar for their own good.
Lead character - essentially, himself (Green). A nerdy, smart, witty underdog who happens to be attractive.
The sidekick - always an overly verbose, annoying pseudo-witty dude,who grates on me nerves.
And then, the Girl - varies by novel, but, again, always the thruline of the alterna-chick, fiercely intelligent, gorgeous, highly literate and geek-loving.

Sure, the circumstances change each novel. But I feel a sense of (annoying) deja vu with his books. I half-finished Looking for Alaska, on my recent trip to the States, but decided to put it down and mail it home, so I could have a break.

None of this is to say I don't like John Green's work. I do.
I just don't think I can handle another book that's pretty much the same as the ones I've just read.

And another thing, while we're at it. I often feel the characters are too try-hard, or that Green is trying hard to be hip & groovy.

And for God's sake, I know the use of "fugging" versus "fucking" was in reference to Joyce (was it Joyce?), but jeepers was that annoying.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.