Matt's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Jun 27, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, science, travel, favorites, running
Recommended to Matt by: Mason Meyer
Recommended for: anyone interested in running, or fulfilling your own dormant athletic potential
Read from June 09 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A very intriguing read. McDougall creates an adventure/travel story, mixed with ultrarunning history and its prominent athletes, mixed with running science and some very eyeopening information and studies regarding mankind, distance running, and evolution. I was captivated by it all.

To anyone interested in running, or fulfilling your own dormant athletic potential, I recommend this book, and I also recommend exploring the joys of running.

I am already a barefooter most of the year long, and have been trying to include barefoot running in my regimen. Injuries have kept me down, but McDougall and Eric Orton and the Tamahumara give me hope.

Critique: I did find his writing style to be distracting some of the time. Sadly, I don't know if this book will stand the test of time due to endless cliches and comparisons, slang, colloquialisms and pop culture references. Lots of "dude," "bonehead," slang names and sayings, etc.

Inspiring, easy to get through. In short--read it.

--- ---

"When you run on the earth and run with the earth, you can run forever." (114) -- a Tarahumara saying

"You don't stop running because you get old. ... You get old because you stop running." (202)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.

06/12/2011 page 33