Molly Jo's Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books, all-time-favs
Read in February, 2011

Set in the not too distant future, Maddie has grown up in a world very similar to ours, but vastly different in so many ways! I don't want to give too much away, because the best part about this book is the unexpected! Just know that things like real trees are "vintage".

The most compelling aspect of the world that Katie Kacvinsky creates in Awaken is that I can easily see it coming about. The events described from the proceeding decades are extensions of events that have taken place in my lifetime. And the technologically obsessed world is one I see forming around me. This book made me examine myself in ways I never expected. It drew attention to how many times a day I check my cell phone, my e-mail, play my DS when my dog wants to wrestle. How many people I communicate with only via Twitter, Skype or Facebook. But also how technology has connected me to people that I never would have met otherwise, people who have become cornerstones in my life. While this is a wonderful thing, I can also see that if this were the ONLY way I interacted with people I would become blind to the other wonderful experiences this world has to offer.The thought of my children growing up that way is heartbreaking, and yet entirely possible.

Watching Maddie experience life was beautiful. Katie Kacvinsky describes the thoughts, feelings, and senses that Maddie's experiencing with breathtaking clarity. I will admit that there were moments when I wondered where the storyline was going to go, before the action started, but I was pleasantly surprised. There was never a time when I felt the book was boring, or slow moving. The dialogue is wonderful and never feels forced. I mention this because I recently started reading a book and that was exactly how every word and interaction felt - forced. Katie Kacvinsky has a smooth writing style that's captivating and easy to follow. I only put this book down because I absolutely had to.

I think Maddie's experience can be summed up with this quote, which I loved:

"Hope and courage and risk dwell inside of us on an uncharted island and if we learn to look for it and tap into it, out possibilities are endless."

I desperately hope there's a sequel coming after this! Or at least more books. I will raise Katie Kacvinsky's children so she can spend her time writing more books! I've become very attached to Maddie and want to know what path she takes in life. I'm sad to see this book end and let these characters go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.