Paradoxical's Reviews > The Iron Queen

1964421
Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in February, 2011

No rest for the wicked, huh? Meghan and Ash immediately jump into action once again when Meghan finds out that her family is under surveillance by the iron fey. If she goes back home her family will be caught in the middle of her fight, and so she goes off with Ash to find a way to deal with the false iron king. Along the way she meets up with Puck and Grimalkin again (much to my delight), and discovers that the iron fey aren't a cohesive whole--that there is a rebel group that knows that the current iron king is a false one.

Meghan is better in this novel than in the past. She does backslide, like when she finds out a certain truth about her father and Puck's involvement, that made me itch to slap some sense into her. She does have a reason to be angry, but this rage was fairly annoying to read. It was interesting to read throughout the books that Meghan's mistakes have consequences further down the line; like the situation with Puck and the deal she had made with the Oracle (I totally called what was going on from the beginning in the second book and was impatiently waiting to see where the author was going to go with that plot thread).

What I do like about this book is the little spaces in time when Meghan isn't rushing everywhere. There's still a sense of urgency, but the down times are important as well (if only for peace of mind, haha). It's really the lull before the battle (which is, uh, literal in this case).

I cheered when I saw how Meghan was acting in the middle of the book and onwards. She knows better her limitations now, and stands up to both Oberon and Mab in a way that is actually nice to see (compared to before when I just wanted to wring her neck and go 'stop being an idiot!'). She becomes more confident in how she acts and she's more decisive. I thoroughly applaud this Meghan and I really like her now.

The plot is tight. It races along in the pages and slow down at parts when it needs to before picking up the reader and throwing them back headlong into the book. It's gripping and a blast to read, and I really love how the author melds her new ideas into the old ones. The descriptions are very well done and I love the world that the author has painted.

This is actually my favorite book of the series thus far. The entire series was done well, but this one was wonderful. The ending was just as it should be and you realize just how much Meghan has grown, how much she matured. 5 stars for this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.