Kat Kennedy's Reviews > The Dark Highlander

Feb 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance-romance-romance, should-have-been-bad
Read from February 11 to December 02, 2011

Warning this review contains spoilers.

Actually, no just one big spoiler. And it's not really a spoiler, but you know how precious some people can be.

angry
This cat just had the ending of Shadowfever spoiled...

Okay, so this is a romance novel. You pretty much know how they all end, right? Happily Ever After with lots of sex and pregnancy/babies.

So far this is the only one I've read that HASN'T ended with pregnancy.

All I can say is THANK YOU!

What the hell is romantic about meeting a man and finding out a month later that you're pregnant? Or, according to a previous book, being pregnant with TWINS?!

twins
Twins. Two bodies. One soul. One very evil soul...

I wouldn't wish twins on my worst enemy!

Why do people think parenthood is romantic? Allow me to illuminate what parenthood basically is:

"Harry, put your pants on." "No flashing your willy, Harry." "Put your willy back in your pants!"

"Why are you crying?" "Do you want a drink?" "Why did you throw your drink on the ground?"
"Why are you crying now?" "Are you sure you want a drink this time?" "Why did you throw your drink on the ground AGAIN?!"

"Do you need to go potty?" "Are you sure?" "Why is there stinky poo in your pants?" "WHY IS THERE STINKY POO ON MUMMY'S WALLS?!"

"No mummy doesn't want to kiss the shark anymore." "I'm sorry, mummy will kiss the shark now." "Why did you hit mummy with the shark?"

"You can have ONE train." "No. One." "Now you broke the train." "Why are you crying?! You're the one who broke the train!" "Okay, mummy fixed the train." "Why are you crying?" "Well then you shouldn't have broken the train, AGAIN!"

"Where's mummy's phone?" "No, that's not mummy's phone, that's a carrot." "Why is mummy's phone in the veggie keeper?"

"Do you want to watch thomas?" "No, mummy doesn't want to watch Aristocats again." "Because mummy will do bad things if she watches Aristocats. AGAIN." "Fine, we'll watch Aristocats." "No mummy's not crying."

"Don't run away!" "No, mummy said not to run away!" "It's not funny!" "Come back!" "Thank you, stranger, for returning my beloved child." "You are in so much trouble!"

"Do you want some cheese for lunch?" "Okay, here's your cheese!" "Why did you throw your cheese on the ground?" "But this is mummy's cheese!" "It's exactly like the cheese she gave you!" "Fine, have mummy's cheese." "WHY DID YOU THROW MUMMY'S CHEESE ON THE GROUND?"

"No, don't touch that." "No, don't touch that." "No, don't touch that." "No, don't touch that." "No, don't touch that." "No, don't touch that." "No, don't touch that." "No, don't touch that." "No, don't touch that." "I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH THAT!!!!!!!!!!!"

Rinse. Repeat. Do it all again tomorrow.

Do you want to know the truth? Children are evil. Now, I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that they're little Stewies in the making.

Stewie
Though I won't dismiss the theory...

But babies do three things from the moment they're born.

1) Struggle to learn their mother-tongue so that they can use the same word, 'No!', over and over again.
2) Struggle to learn to move, walk and run so that they can throw things at you and then run away while cackling with fiendish laughter.
3) Study you to learn your weaknesses.

They don't have anything else to do! They eat, sleep and poop and they're learning how to bring you down and crush your spirit while doing all three of those tasks - all the while knowing that if you ever chose to, you could crush them with your giant adult fists.

evil
Look at that... pure, malevolent evil...

And yet, people still procreate, why? There are childless people reading this right now. And I bet you. I BET you that they will probably still have children despite everything that I have said.

You know why? WHY?! Because either they think I'm exaggerating and "it won't be THAT bad!" Or they're cocky little bastards who think that, "Sure, kids CAN be like that. But not mine. MY kids will be fantastic."

Yes. You keep thinking that. That's what I thought too. Certificate III in childcare and a childhood development course and I thought I would be Mummy Extraordinaire. My best friend, who is a trained and practising Child Psychologist, thought so too. She thought I never saw her look of contempt at my screaming child and that I couldn't see the idea as plain as day in her head, "Well, MY child won't do that!" Hahahaha! I got the last laugh on that one, bitch!

ITS WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK!

laughing baby

There is NOTHING romantic about having babies. Nothing. You will get a massive belly, need to pee all the time. Then you will go through childbirth and while recovering from this "experience" you will be tending a newborn. You will bleed constantly for six weeks while your nipples leak and you can't remember the last time you got a good night's sleep. Your hormones will trick you into thinking your grandpa-faced little newborn is beautiful and people will lie to you because they realize that with the birth of your child has begun your decent into insanity. People will coo over your child who will be perfectly well-behaved until they bugger off and then you're left alone with a screaming infant WHO CAN'T BE REASONED WITH!

Yes, I love my son, he's the light of my life, blah de blah, blah.

But I can't take anymore of these Happily Ever After WITH BABIES endings!

Why can't we have Happily Ever After, with a lot of money, sex and freedom to travel the globe, eat in expensive restaurants and have even MORE sex except this time on the kitchen floor, endings?

No. Instead we get this:

beautiful baby
The little jerk...

I keep ending these novels with super-happy couples petting their lovely pregnant bellies and all I can think is, "Poor bastards! Don't even know what they're in for..."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Highlander.

02/11/2011 page 1
0.0% "I REFUSE to read you. Stop staring at me like that. I'm practising self-control. I'm not going to read you yet. Even though I really want to. Even though my mouth drools at the prospect... even though... oh damn it!" 1 comment
02/22/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Feb 13, 2011 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy you didn't love this book? I loved Daegus and Chloe..Adam Black is next, and oh God is he worth it!

btw, did you sit in my house with a tape recorder today or something because I swear that was my day today!

message 2: by Tatiana (last edited Feb 13, 2011 08:13PM) (new)

Tatiana I need to show this to my husband, 'cause he is dying to have one of these monsters...

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele I loved your review. i had a good evil chuckle. just thinking of all the new mums in my life.... they won't know what hit them!!!

Kat Kennedy Laura - I thought it was okay. I liked the fourth one better.

Tatiana - *Groans* why? Why?! Why would he do that?

Adele - I know. My bestfriend and my sister just had children. While I'm very loving and supportive of them - I'm also secretly laughing behind their backs.

Jillian - Why thank you! I think you are most wise and should probably lead our people to freedom in some kind of awe-inspiring dictatorship.

Shell I cracked up when I read this...you are so right. It looks crazy but its exactly what kids are like. I love my two little ones but they can be so annoying sometimes.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Notice that Shadowfever DID NOT end with Mac preggo, and when KMM was asked about it in the chat, she said something to the effect of...

"UM... Can you see Barrons with babies? I don't think so!" So we do know that KMM has some smarts when it comes to her characters. LOL!

Kat Kennedy I realize that, I'm just wondering why it's so popular in the Romance genre.

These romance women breed like bloody rabbits! Stick them with a toothpick and they're pregnant!

I couldn't think of a WORSE existence!

message 8: by Zeek (last edited Feb 14, 2011 03:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek for a very long time publishers had a formula they needed to see for romance novels and yours wouldnt get published without it. Reluctant Virgin heroine? check. Rake hero? check. Forced Seducation of reluctant virgin by said rake? check. HEA with babies? check. ANy of that missing- no go. Thankfully the times they are a changing and publishers recognized it. (At least I hope they have???) Dont get me wrong theres still formula- it just demands other things.

Spider the Doof Warrior Well, they are really, really cute, but yes, a few swashbucking sword fights might be better,

Jess the Romanceaholic Dear lord you completely summed up my day as a stay-at-home-mom.

I haven't read this series but it's high on my tbr list. Thanks for the baby warning lol

Kat Kennedy Synthesia - since when has cuteness been an excuse for unspeakable evil? :P

Jess - Yep! Terribly familiar, ain't it!

Zeek - my question is why the pregnancy/babies ending is romantic AT ALL? I mean, the idea is for these books to be read by housewifes/mothers. Like I said, as a housewife/mother, I think I can speak for a sizable majority when I say that the endings leave me with a sense of PITY for the couple as opposed to any hope or nice feelings.

message 12: by Zeek (last edited Feb 14, 2011 09:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek ha! well not only housewives and mothers read them- singles who never had kids do too. :raising hand::

I've been reading romance since the 80's- I was 12 when I picked up one of my Mom's lying around the house and was hooked= 40 now and I never stopped. From what I've observed your the minority about not seeing babies an marriage as romantic. Women all around me buy into this idea that getting married and having babies are their ultimate dream in life- my sister included! She, my gramma, my aunts all thought for years I would only be happy in life if I could only have this too- even tho I assure them I'm quite content with my life. Its only been recently that- well my sister anyway- finally realized what makes one person happy is not necessarily what will make everyone happpy. Well my gramma still isnt convinced but she's 94, I cut her some slack. They love their husbands, love that their love has a pc of immortality attached to it in their kids and have easily forgotten the poopie diapers.

Yep I'm pretty sure that old formula was speaking to this very stereotype- the old saw that women only want to grow up find their prince and live happily ever after - with babies. But really it's not quite gone away- I see it in my friends kids who are now hitting early 20's. They see some friends marrying off and wonder what's wrong with them that they cant find their prince- even tho they're going to college and pursuing careers! ugh

I laugh because it sorta backfired on me even though I love romance - perhaps that's why it DID backfire...I never found a prince to equal a romance hero and not a single one of the the jokers I've dated made me want to give up the chance to travel the globe (which I did-and I'm not done yet thank you very much), settle down and have babies with them!!

Anyway rambling- but all this too say- I get your point but shoot romance novels are ALL ABOUT the fantasy- heck that's why I read them. Like I always say, when I want depressing reality, I read literary. :)

message 13: by Penny (new)

Penny You forgot to mention hemorrhoids. Nobody EVER talks about the hemorrhoids! So imagine my surprise when, after having baby #1, I got to experience hemorrhoids from hell AND a fourth degree tear in my hoo-ha region. Dude, I couldn't sit down, even with the stupid inflatable doughnut. I had to lay down. Worst experience ever!

And nursing? Hurts like you can't even imagine (for the first week or so) and that's when you're doing it RIGHT. Engorgement? Horrible. Even worse when your husband thinks it looks sexy. And it's extra hilarious when your milk comes in every time you hear any baby cry. I practically died laughing every time I leaked through my shirt.

(this is going to piss a lot of people off but my favorite pregnancy/birthing experience/recovery was with baby #3. I had to have an emergency c-section because baby was frank breech and there was a major lack of amniotic fluid. The recovery time was only 2 weeks. Sure I couldn't climb the stairs nor could I really carry anything heavier then my baby for the first month but that just got me more relaxation time while my husband slaved away. Also? I didn't nurse #3. I refused to do so. I know, I'm the devil and my baby is going to be retarded for life blah, blah, blah... but I don't care what those La Leche League bitches think. They can choke on their own self righteousness for all I care. So yeah, c-sections kick ass and so does not having an infant gnaw on your tits for about a year. Just FYI)

I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought. Where was I? Oh, yeah, GREAT review Kat. I thoroughly appreciate every last word. I'm sad you succumbed and started reading this series, but I figured it was going to happen after Shadowfever. I'll never delve back into this series because bodice-ripping romances make me want to go on a killing spree. Same goes for a fourth positive pregnancy test, which will never ever ever ever ever happen. Never. Because being a mother is as bad as you just described, but my case is three times worse.

Funnily enough, I do love my little girls more then anything in this world. Even my own life. Even more then my husbands life.

message 14: by Zeek (last edited Feb 14, 2011 09:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek yeesh- am I the only one who's ever read romance before this series here? (srsly, if you are still calling recent romance "bodice rippers" you havent been reading the right ones.) haha!

Ok ignore my posts, I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about- you people are hardcore. ;)

Laura the Highland Hussy I'm with you Zeek, I snagged one of my mom's bodice rippers when I was 13 and I've been hooked ever since

message 16: by Penny (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:16PM) (new)

Penny In my book anything that follows the same formula that Moning's Highlander series does qualifies as a "bodice ripper" I'm just not into the whole pushy uber alpha male thing. And a happily ever after with a wedding and babies? Puh-leeeeeeze. I've been there. Doing it right now. It's not so awesome. I mean, yeah, I like it enough to not run away screaming when things get bad.

But when I read I want to escape into the sort of life that doesn't involve babies. And a super jackass who is incredibly sweet on the inside--though one would never know unless they took the time to dig a little deeper--with a unbelievably massive dong and amazing stamina doesn't work for me. I mean, I like fantasy and all but... yeah, I can only suspend my belief so far.

message 17: by Zeek (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek but you *did* get married so somewhere you bought into the happily ever after thing right? You just cant set aside the reality of life not being the ideal people say it should be which hey, makes you sane- to enjoy these types of books!

(btw,I love the alphas- hello Jerricho Barrons!- but I'd never put up with one in real life!)

As long as you dont judge those who do enjoy the escape into the fantasy of a man with a big schlong who knows how to use it- its all good. :P

Kat Kennedy Well, I suppose in a way you're right, Zeek.

I read my first "bodice-ripper" when I was fifteen and it was Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. Though admittedly, I haven't read many since.

Infact the only romances I read are the bastard child of the romance genre, the Paranormal Romance. They tend to be mostly nicely free of babies!

Jerricho Barrons is delicious but he is my exception not my rule.

I don't like pushy jackasses and I get VERY annoyed with female protagonists for letting them get away with jackass behaviour.

I suppose I did buy into the fantasy once and maybe that's why it annoys me so much. Because it really is just a fantasy. I read the next book, The Immortal Highlander and wanted to punch KMM.

So Gwen has 2 month old twins and she can sit in the solarium all day tanning and gossiping with her friends? I don't FUCKING think so! Two month old twins means you're not a human being anymore. You're something that used to be a human being while you struggle with the massive change to motherhood, usually sleep-deprivation, exhaustion. And besides, babies don't like to be away from mommy for very long at all! Try having a five minute phone conversation with a baby and see how well you bloody go!

Penny - I didn't mention A LOT of other things about pregnancy, childbirth and motherhood because I just didn't want to come off as a complainer but definitely my list was a short one and if that's all you get then you can thank your fucking stars!

message 19: by Zeek (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek and yes the first 3 or 4 in the highlander series were bodice rippers but she started writing these in the 90s. by the last one in the series, the heroine is not a virgin- the hero is sacrificing his life for hers and they end up with no babies in sight- but that might have changed in shadowfever dont think they specified... 5 yrs later.!

message 20: by Zeek (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek I pretty much only read PNR anymore. Katherine Woodwiss? ::wince:: THAT is bodice ripper- not this series.

Honestly this series was hit or miss with me. Never got thru the first 3, loved Dageus and Drustanss and LOOOOVED Spell- Cian's story! I remember liking Immortal well enough but it didnt stick with me like those three.

Kat Kennedy I see your wince and raise it to a ::shudder::

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Penny wrote: "You forgot to mention hemorrhoids. Nobody EVER talks about the hemorrhoids! So imagine my surprise when, after having baby #1, I got to experience hemorrhoids from hell AND a fourth degree tear i..."

I didn't nurse and I didn't feel bad about that at all, its the year 2011 for christ sakes! LMAO! If I'm given the easier option I'm going to take it! =P

Kat Kennedy Hey, hey, hey, ladies! Let's not get into a breast vs bottle discussion here!

Let's just agree that the little buggers are miserable bastards whether they get the boob or bottle.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! CHEERS!!!!!!!!

message 25: by Penny (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:47PM) (new)

Penny Nope. No judgment here. I'm just not really into that sort of thing myself. Different folks, different strokes, ya know?

I spent the majority of my young life making plans to travel the world. And marriage? The idea was romantic but not really my dream. I always told my friends I'd think about getting serious when I turned thirty-ish. Until then I just wanted to finish my education, travel around the world and have fun.

Things were going according to plan until I went on a date with my husband. For the record I agreed to go out with him because I'd be getting free food, that's it--I mean, he seemed nice enough but he wasn't my type and anyway I wasn't really looking to be in any sort of relationship at the time.

Anyway, the date went well. Well enough to go on a second date. So I agreed to a second date. Though I didn't realize it at the time, I fell in love sometime during the second date (and I was never one who "fell in love" at least, unlike my peers, not too often nor all that easily). Long story short: I got married ten years ahead of schedule. Sure it's been great, and I really love my husband, but living "the dream" isn't everything it's cracked up to be. Not by a long shot. Maybe my feelings will change when I'm not neck deep in poopy diapers and I can finally afford to fix my boobs and remove the stretch marks. Also, some form of world travel will have to happen. THEN maybe I'll change my mind.

Kat Kennedy I was seriously convinced that DH and I were maternal/paternal people and would have six babies.

I was doing a childcare diploma. He's a teacher. We were creche leaders at our church.

I don't know how we managed to delude ourselves so badly!

message 27: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek LOL! From what I've seen- once the poopie diapers are gone and the kis are in school, a little better perspective hits. You guys wont be in this stage forever.

message 28: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat Kennedy You say that. You saucy minx. But it's not true.

I'm an old (okay, 24 is old...) cynical bitch now.

Can't wait to drink G&T while I redecorate my children's room into a gym and a personal dressing room.

Actually, my mother never got better perspective either. She still shudders at newborns and encourages child to go play...somewhere else.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, everyone says 'terrible twos' GOD THAT WAS SO EASY FOR ME! It was like literally when my daughter turned five, the day after her fifth birthday she has her first 'tantrum' I just stared at her and had no clue what to do because up until that point she was so sweet and loving. Now she's six, and doing that whole "Oh, I'm gaining my personality and going to push you EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SAY NO!!!!!!!!!" And I'm thinking "I will not muzzle my child, I will not muzzle my child I WILL NOT MUZZLE MY CHILD!!!!!" Supernanny makes it look WAYYYYYYYYYYYY TOO EASY!!!!!!! Its like oh heres the naughty stool, you will sit there for six minutes realize that is boring and not fun and then all will be great with the world........ RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! LOL!

message 30: by Zeek (last edited Feb 14, 2011 10:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek oh honey I'm older and dyed in the wool Aunt material- give em a cookie and give em back- I ooo and awww over newborns but I love em best past the age of hmmm 8 or so? but then, I dont have to put up with their fighting and bikering and I'm bored with each other- which sorry to say is the next stage ladies. I just leave with a smile and a "I love AUnt Zeek the best because she buys my love" from them! :)

message 31: by Penny (new)

Penny That last Highlander book sounds interesting. I might be able to read it without wanting to chuck it across the room. But I get the feeling that if I pick it up without reading the rest of the books I won't really know what the hell is going on. And then I might start reading the other books. I know I'll throw most of those books across the room.

Kat Kennedy It isn't a series per se, Penny. You'd be safe picking up any of them by themselves without reading any of the other books and starting where you like.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Penny wrote: "That last Highlander book sounds interesting. I might be able to read it without wanting to chuck it across the room. But I get the feeling that if I pick it up without reading the rest of the bo..."

I skipped a whole book on accident, Kiss of the Highlander and I didn't get lost I realized AFTER I read the first Fever book that I had missed a Highlander one. I didn't seem to notice, but most people like to or HAVE to read in order, its all what you want to do I know lots of people that skip around.

message 34: by Zeek (last edited Feb 15, 2011 03:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek Read Spell because it's closest to Fever-its its own story altho they end up with the Mackeltar twins from 4 and 5. But I gotta tell ya, Dageus (Book 5) is the most like Barrons. ;)

Usually I tell people to start the series at book 4 BUT that one is still kinda old school and would get on your nerves. I think if you really want to try it- go ahead and read book 7. Love me some tatooed Cian Mackeltar!

message 35: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Zeek is right. You can read them out of order. Daegus is almost a pre-Barrons character.

By the way, I was reading through this thread and I am laughing...My kids are finally older and it does get easier. I would just say that you absolutely need to make time for you and your partners to have some adult time where you don't talk about the kids at all. Some sort of reconnect time. Very important.

And terrible twos don't hold nothing to Tantruming Teens - I found age 14 and 15 to be the most challenging. Something for you gals with rugrats to look forward to.

Regina I love the 2-4 stage. :) But then I am in the midst of it. I have 4 kids ages 2 to 11 right now. And I always thought they were a blessing BUT I do not like the idea that childrean are tied to a HEA and I was so relieved Moning didn't have Mac and Barrons pumping out babies b/c that would have been unbelieveable. I love Dageau -- more than I like Barrons, but I think Barrons is a more fascinating literary charcter.

Zeek I agree, I did not like Kiss of a Highlander very much. I actually started this series with #1 and hated it, then read #2, hated it. Then I somehow jumped to Spell #7. Then I read #5, then I read #6, and then I read #4, lol. I was still able to figure it all out.

Spider the Doof Warrior Never been into bodice rippers.
They tend to have hilarious titles though, and I HATE alpha men who will try to control and tame me when I am wild and like to run free like some sort of MUSTANG or something.

Though I am trying to pursue a tall, dark, handsome Native Americany looking fellow, so wish me luck.

Biology is telling me to consider having kids, but I'm afraid of childbirth. It seems really, really SCARY.

message 38: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Mommies, I have a question for you. I appreciate all the warning you've given, but I am curious, why don't you stop at baby#1? There must be something good about this motherhood thing if you keep coming back for more?:)

Spider the Doof Warrior hehehehe. They probably can't resist the cuteness. Babies sure are heartmeltingly cute.
Baby things in general.

message 40: by Zeek (last edited Feb 15, 2011 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek "and I HATE alpha men who will try to control and tame me "

Well geeze who does??? Unfortunately its hard finding the true ones in real life- too many times they are alpha wannabes who just bully people around because they think THAT makes them a leader. NOT. ;) Which is why I love reading about them. If they're done right.

message 41: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek And Barrons pushing around Mac doesnt count- she needed turn from Pink Mac to Black Mac to do what needed to be done and HE was her catalyst.

Here's what I've learned in my old age- Pain and suffering is not not necessarily something to be avoided at all costs. A) it doesnt last forever and B) it wont kill ya and Finally, You can learn an awful alot about being a better person through it.

Regina Tatiana wrote: "Mommies, I have a question for you. I appreciate all the warning you've given, but I am curious, why don't you stop at baby#1? There must be something good about this motherhood thing if you keep c..."

I would have had 5 or 6 if I was younger and had more money -- and wasn't a lawyer (too much working for me). There are definite pay offs -- every day all day long. And I have found that having kids has strengthened my relationship with my husband. It isn't always easy, but it is worth it. I was the type of person who couldn't stand being around other kids before I had them, I hated to baby sit and just didn't see the appeal of kids at all on a personal level. So it changed big time for me.

message 43: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Tatiana wrote: "Mommies, I have a question for you. I appreciate all the warning you've given, but I am curious, why don't you stop at baby#1? There must be something good about this motherhood thing if you keep c..."

I agree with Regina. I would have had more if we had money and help. My husband and I wanted children. Having one kid only didn't fly with us because we wanted our children to have a sibling. We then had a 3rd because we were trying for a girl - and got a 3rd boy. Having kids is not romantic. It's hard work. It will make or break your marriage so don't have kids to save a marriage. Yes, there are days that I long for our life BC(before children) but other days when they make us laugh and enrich our lives.

As for the pregnancy and childbirth part. In the big scheme of things yes, it is uncomfortable (pregnancy) and yes, childbirth hurts like hell - but there are drugs for that - use them. Childbirth will be one day of your life. You have the kids for the rest of your life.

Regina LOL -- I love childbirth and pregnancy. :) I love the entire process, but I know that is odd.

It is all hard work though, I completely agree AH. I think relaxing my standards is a big thing that helps me get through the day. It is okay if my house isn't perfect all the time, sometimes I just go with the flow. I only had 1 sister, so I wanted my kids to have more siblings than I did.

Bark's Book Nonsense All I have to say is the baby bit is the EASY part. Exhausting but easy and I can see why people get the baby craving. My babies were angels until they learned to walk and talk! Wait until they're F'ing teenagers with boyfriends and girlfriends and drama like you wouldn't believe. I'm just glad I had them young. All the hormonal drama should be just about over and done by the time I'm 45 and have no energy left to deal.

Regina I completely agree!!! I have been trying to convince a colleague of that. When they have their own opinions and ideas and schedules -- the challenge is much more.

I can't imagine the teenage drama.

message 47: by Bark's Book Nonsense (last edited Feb 15, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

Bark's Book Nonsense Also loved the review. It gave me a good laugh when I needed one. I love my kids but absolutely do not want to read about babies/childrearing and brats if they take over the story.

message 48: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek I hope I didnt give the wrong impression earlier- I think kids in romance novels are annoying, I was just discussing why they were often included as part of the HEA (which btw, is indeed a perquisite to getting a romance novel published... a Happily Ever After ending, I mean)- especially in 80s and 90s.

Regina I knew what you were saying. :) I like reading about kids in novels if 1) it is done realistically (I recently listened to Cover of Night and it was done so poorly that I had urges to throw my iphone; and 2) kids aren't used to just tug on emotions or for emotional effect, but they actually add to the story line.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I stopped at baby #1, I HATED being pregnant, it was a surprise to start with, I was a single mother for three years before I met and married my husband now. So, I was doing it on my own with some support from my parents in the beginning. But I thought I could handle it, honestly, I thought I was organized enough to deal. I was, in the baby stage. But I HATED being pregnant, I had a really easy labor, Lucy was a dream as a baby, perfect schedule. She was easy to keep on task, she was sweet, we lived at Disneyland for like her first three years of life (Disney passes lol) So we hung out there and she got used to that so it was just so easy. THEN... she turned five. And I'm disoriented, disorginized, I'm tense, I'm afraid to tell her no so my husband does and he just does it and she listens, she must know my weaknesses because she asks me first and I say it and she does this huff thing and there is screaming and "I HATE YOU!" Is thrown out a lot, and I'm like OH MY GOD WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO!

I HONESTLY, don't think I can do it again. I don't think I can start this all over again, and I honestly don't plan on it and I married a man that was older and has no issue with me not wanting anymore. I think babies are super cute, but I know so many women that have them constantly that I can just hold one of theres for a little while or baby sit and then just give it back after a few hours lol.

But, I know myself well enough that I know I'm DONE after #1. Its hard, and I LOVE the one I have and I know that raising her to be a good, smart, loyal woman will be challenge enough without adding in another one to the mix.

« previous 1 3