Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Kiss of the Highlander

Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: romance-romance-romance, should-have-been-bad
Read from February 11 to November 02, 2011

Yes, in case you're wondering, I'm even more ashamed than when I gave its predeccesor The Highlander's Touch three stars. It seems that I'm deteriorating into some obscure form of madness in which time-travelling, historical romance can illicit a four star rating out of me.

They should name a damn charitable foundation after me to help other people suffering from this obscure mental illness.

But it's honestly not my fault. The fault lies with Karen Marie Moning.

Evil
There it is, folks. The face of pure evil.

She makes these RIDICULOUS books that you should blush at the idea of reading - readable, fun and hilarious. If I deign to pick up a Historical Romance - especially one in which time-travelling is involved - I would spend most of it groaning, rolling my eyes and looking for a wall to bash my head on.

And yet, here we are. I've read two books in this series now and I have no intention of stopping. I mean, I totally could stop. If I wanted to...

Addict
I could stop anytime...

The strongest part of this book is, without a doubt, the characters. They're fantastic. Gwen and Drustan had me in hysterics. I thought this was going to be the usual pushy, chauvinistic male character with sex-pot-in-the-making virgin who admires his studly-studlyness until they have great sex and babies and we forget that they ever had issues. No. This is a story where the pushy, chauvinistic male character gets locked in the privy by the brilliant and stubborn female protagonist until he learns to behave himself. I feel this is a trend that already should have existed in many more romances. Because women have been writing 'romantic' men who're really just giant jackasses for waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too long.

I absolutely adored this book from start to finish and it's not because I like romances. Or history. Or time-travelling. It's because Karen Marie Moning has me wrapped around her twisted little finger as she kicks my ass with her story-telling ability and writing craft. I'm only glad I wasn't a fan of such books BEFORE I read Moning's, because otherwise she would have ruined Historical Romances as thoroughly for me as she's ruined Urban Fantasy with her Fever Series.

Simply because she can, the heartless bitch!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Highlander.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Hey, you liked it! You have a "should have been bad shelf?" Going to check it out!

Kat Kennedy I did *Shakes fist at KMM*

I couldn't seem to help myself.

The UHQ Nasanta Oh dear. Sounds like I need to reread this one. I don't remember: "This is a story where the pushy, chauvinistic male character gets locked in the privy by the brilliant and stubborn female protagonist until he learns to behave himself."

I did like her Highlander series but both my sister and I really liked Alex Black (I think that's the Fae guy's name) the best.

And I typically do not care for time traveling in my reading with the exception of Madeleine L'Engle, Diana Gabaldon, and (I am surprised to recall) Karen Marie Moning. Yes, definitely a reread of the Highlander books are in order. I hope I still have the books...

Kat Kennedy Adam Black - I will read him soon. Oh yes I will.

Dr Evil

Yes, he gets locked in the privy and I'm so glad he does.

The only one I've ever liked previously was Diana Gabaldon's Outlander though I never read the rest of the series.

The UHQ Nasanta That's it. Adam. Thanks. :) The Outlander series is a rather daunting one to plunge into. I really like the historical detail that the author put into it. It makes the world feel authentic. The characters also feel so real, and I don't recall ANY other author being able to bring the characters to life for me as Diana Gabaldon has done. For this reason alone makes her a great writer to me.

message 6: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Hatfield You should read the first two books, I really enjoyed them...Outlander is pretty good too..

Nicole I too am lost in the evil clutches of KMM! I gave this one 5 stars and have the rest of them lined up ready to go...they're just too fun.

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo Schaffer OUTLANDER. Read them.

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Faircloth Daegus, his deliciously evil twin brother is my favorite in her Highlander series. Damn her and her sexy men!

Jewels ♥ My Devastating Reads Yeah, thanks to this book I had to start a guilty pleasures shelf. Because I really shouldn't have liked it this much. I majored in English for crying out, how did this happen? Glad I'm not alone in this odd phenomenon of finding ridiculous books to be utterly amazing.

message 11: by Aj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aj I <3 KMM
She is an infinitely gifted author, and I pray her well of imagination NEVER runs dry!

Nicolette There needs to be a Moning support group. I'm just so damned thankful that I didn't see the covers of the Highland series before reading them, or I would've experienced a severe case of book shame. I mean, I snorted at the titles alone. Every time I sat down to read them. Oh, but they're so, so delicious. Intelligent, capable females? Females that save their partners' asses? Partners that WANT strong, intelligent females? Physicists, archaeologists, anthropologists, oh my! Plus, hot sex. Yes, Karen Marie Moning has made an addict out of me.

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH There was a support group - I think we called it the Fever water cooler. Not sure if it is still active. There is another group called moning maniacs, too.

Jenae Your review cracked me up because it is pretty much word-for-word how I feel. NEVER thought I'd get sucked in to reading romance novels, but after the Fae Fever series I have spiraled down a dark Karen Moning path.....

Cecile there with you....I can't figure it out either...I have it too!

Vallsykes Kat Kennedy wrote: "chauvinistic male character gets locked in the privy by the brilliant and stubborn female protagonist until he learns to behave himself. I feel this is a trend that already should have existed in many more romances."

Good point.