Alicia's Reviews > Angela's Ashes

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Feb 06, 2008

did not like it
Read in May, 2007

There are not words to describe how horrible I felt this book was. First, I was somehow under the impression that it was a WWII novel, so that was a disappointment to begin with. I really felt like the theme of this novel was how to survive life's trials and difficulties by masturbating. Someone please tell me if I am way off here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angela's Ashes.

02/14/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-11)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 11: by Paula (new) - rated it 1 star

Paula I agree with you. Not only was this an extremely depressing book of a family not being taken care of by either father or mother but it was extremely crude.

message 10: by Paula (new) - rated it 1 star

Paula I agree with you whole heartedly. It was a great disappointment to me also. It is one of the worse books that I read.

message 9: by Stacy (new) - added it

Stacy LOL, I stopped reading on page 30 maybe I should not continue.

Theresa I completely disagree. The "salacious bits" make up a small part of the final third of the book. To me, AA was about hardships, and how a particular family faced their own trials during a pretty desperate time in world history. It certainly didn't shy away from some of the baser elements of growing up, including going through puberty in a repressive society, but I wouldn't necessarily claim that masturbation was his salvation.

Jovana Vermette Wow, I could not disagree more. It doesn't matter if you "liked the story" because it's a memoir of the extreme hardships and perseverance of a poor Irish family. This book portrays the sadness and turmoils of The Depression, but masked it beautifully through the narrative of a young boy. You clearly missed the point.

message 6: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Alicia...glad someone else was appalled by the out right perversion in this book.

Andrea You are SO wrong! This book is so touching.

Vicki-lee Tyacke I agree with you as well. This was one of the most disappointing books I have ever read.

message 3: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Thanks for your comments. I want to read a book I can recommend to my book group, who are religious, and I cannot recommend a book, as good as a story as it sounds, that talks a lot about masturbation. Is it really necessary to the story line? I will never know. Thank you.

Amber It is necessary. A huge part of the book was a subversive comment on the repressions of growing up as a teenaged boy in a severely Catholic society. One of his big struggles was the wrestle with his faith, with what his hormones and hunger tell him to do and what his parents, teachers, priests forbid him from. Boys masturbate a lot, and it's healthy. It's the truth, and you shouldn't read a memoir of a boy's life unless you want to deal with it. It's an excellently written book which makes observations about society whilst masking them under the point of view of a normal, unlucky, laughter-loving boy. Don't read a book about somebody's life unless you are willing to consider another point of view. Moreover, if you have nothing in your life, a quick wank is probably all you'd have to look forward to.

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jones You completely missed the point.