Relyn's Reviews > My Reading Life

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy

Feb 17, 11

Recommended to Relyn by: Jeffrey Lawson
Recommended for: book lovers everywhere
Read from February 11 to 14, 2011

2/11/11
What can I say about this book? I've read one chapter and already laughed, grinned, and cried. This is a book for any book lover. My favorite things so far, "Though it was not a part of a lesson plan, it imparted a truth that left me spellbound. Great words, arranged with cunning and artistry, could change the perceived world for some readers." YES!! YES!!

His teacher was crying as he read Whitman's poem about Abraham Lincoln. I also have something I read to my students each year. And I cry every time. It's called Pink and Say. It's also about Abraham Lincoln. When Pink says, "Say, let me touch your hand. I want to touch the hand that touched the hand of Abraham Lincoln." I cry every time. I cry now as I type these words. That, my friends, is the power of the written word.

2/14
I love books about books and books about writing. And, I definitely enjoyed this book. But I didn't love it. This man writes purple prose, man. PURPLE! He goes on and on and ON. Conroy seems to be of the opinion, why use one perfect adjective with 12 will do?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Reading Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Bonini Yes; Pink and Say is an incredibly lovely and moving book.
I haven't read anything by Conroy in ages -- but I'm a sucker for books that talk about the love of reading.

message 2: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev I agree with the comment about purple prose. I loved the first 2/3 of this book and had the "get ON with it" feeling about the last 1/3.