Eve Mcfadden's Reviews > Bio-Weapon

Bio-Weapon by Vaughn Heppner

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: sf
I own a copy

This is a great follow-up to the first book, Star Soldier. Marten Kluge is caught in a web not of his own making, trying to stay alive as forces gather on various sides. Marten is just a man, but he exerts himself to be more than that -- to be a free man.

I think the only thing I'm not crazy about in this series is the lack of strong, sympathetic women characters. That, of course, is something that has been an sf problem (and probably a general literature problem) for a long time. There are three women we might like -- Marten's mother, and Nadia Pravda, and Osadar Di. Marten's mother is killed in book one, so all we have are his memories. Nadia Pravda is initially blackmailed into helping Marten escape, but she and Marten develop a relationship, at least of convenience, and he misses her when war plans prevent him from meeting her as they'd planned.

Still, every other woman is distasteful -- Major Orlov in book 1, for example. Osadar Di isn't around long enough for us to get to do much more than feel sorry for her, although we do feel for her.

Once again, the military and political machinations are intriguing and many-faceted, and the reader can't wait to find out who does what next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bio-Weapon.