Steven Belanger's Reviews > The Cases That Haunt Us

The Cases That Haunt Us by John E. Douglas

Feb 11, 11

Read in October, 2010

One of my all-time favorite books, and definitely not for the squeamish. The authors cover--in unbelievably great detail and depth--the crimes, aftereffects, motives, evidence and suspects involved in the periphery of the Jack the Ripper killings in Whitechapel in 1888, the Jonbenet Ramsay trial, the Lizzie Borden case, the Zodiac Killer, The Black Dahlia (see the James Ellroy novel of the same name) and a few others. The writing about these cases is inspired, impressive, thorough and intense. They are also, especially when writing about 1888 Whitechapel (Jack the Ripper) and 1950s L.A. (The Black Dahlia), historically accurate and extremely fascinating. I have re-read this book a few times now, and, like a true classic, I get a new thing out of it each time. John Douglas's take on Jack the Ripper, especially, is definitive, and obliterates the efforts of Patricia Cornwell and others who have tackled and been derailed by the topic. For Ripper enthusiasts, this is the one to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cases That Haunt Us.