Maia B.'s Reviews > The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: historical, fantasy, best-books-ever, love-it, beautiful-writing, practically-perfect, broke-my-heart, my-best-beloved, favorites
Recommended for: Everyone, no exceptions, anywhere
Read from January 20 to 28, 2012

How can you rate the best book you've ever read, the most amazing novel ever written, the most clever, funny, magical, hopeful, tragic, terrible, wonderful, incredible book in the world? How can you quantify its brilliance?

Okay. Take the best book you've ever read. Multiply how much you love it by ten. Multiply its brilliance by a million. You're halfway to imagining The Once and Future King.

There's so much here. Love stories. Rich men. Poor men. Virtuous men. Evil men. Beautifullest women. Adventure. Humor. And under it all, running through it like bright thread through a tapestry, is this astonishing vein of wisdom - Might vs. Right. Which to choose, and which will wind up best?

Who has ever known someone like any one of the characters in this book? No one. They're not human, they're like gods - no, that's not right at all. They're like humans. They're terribly flawed, every one of them - and they are far, far more real than anyone I've ever met. They weren't just alive, they LIVED.

There is so much in this great novel. It is probably one of the best of the twentieth century. It is in fact one of the top two best books in the entire world. It is what every fantasy novel aspires to. It is funny. It is tragic. It is full of hope. It is impossible to describe.

It's completely indescribable. There's no need to. Just read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Once and Future King.

Quotes Maia Liked

T.H. White
“Might does not make right! Right makes right!”

T.H. White
“They had a year of joy, twelve months of the strange heaven which the salmon know on beds of river shingle, under the gin-clear water. For twenty-four years they were guilty, but this first year was the only one which seemed like happiness. Looking back on it, when they were old, they did not remember that in this year it had ever rained or frozen. The four seasons were coloured like the edge of a rose petal for them.”

T.H. White
“If people reach perfection they vanish, you know.”

T.H. White
“They made me see that the world was beautiful if you were beautiful, and that you couldn't get unless you gave. And you had to give without wanting to get.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. Aleksandr (new)

J. Aleksandr Wootton High praise, and I think you've convinced me to add this one back onto my to-read list. I picked it up a number of years ago, didn't much enjoy it, and have wondered from time to time whether I'd made a too-hasty judgment. Seems I have.

Maia B. I tried it when I was in fifth grade and didn't understand it or like it. Four years later it's now my very favorite book.

I really hope you will like it, J! It's definitely one of the most brilliant books ever. :)