Stacy's Reviews > I Am Not A Serial Killer

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: library-book, couldnt-finish
Recommended for: `

I wanted to read this book because of my fascination with serial killers and the intriguing slant in the main character's relationship with himself.
While reading, I was put off by Wells' writing style. It came off as juvenile in that he writes as though he doesn't trust his readers to figure out fairly obvious things for themselves. He posts many unnecessary/rhetorical questions that the reader is (hopefully, or rather should be) already wondering about on her own. It's muddled in redundancy.
All of this I could have put aside, and tried to, for the sake of the still intriguing concept and somewhat likable main character. However, a few more than 100 pages in, it took an unforgivable turn for the worse. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read it yet and may still want to, so I will spare you any sort of real detail. Suffice it to say that it became very obvious fairly quickly that this book wasn't one I would care for in the slightest. I put it down without finishing it, which is something I usually have a hard time doing, but it was fairly easy with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not A Serial Killer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becky Don't you think that perhaps the book was geared for the younger teen audience & not adults?

Stacy Indeed I do, and that was one of the biggest problems that I had with this book. It is not marketed as such in any way, and I think that is kind of an important thing to mention. When I found it amongst all of the actual adult books in the general fiction section with no indication of it being anything otherwise, I assumed that it was what it claimed to be. Bad move on my part, apparently.

Deepspacesamurai I'd just like to say I'm glad I don't listen to the reviews of others. I'd miss out on great books. This one is great.

Stacy Deepspacesamurai wrote: "I'd just like to say I'm glad I don't listen to the reviews of others. I'd miss out on great books. This one is great."

It seems you do not understand the concept of a book review. It is one's OPINION of a book and their OWN experience in reading it. Reading the reviews of others can help you gauge whether or not you would like to read the book yourself, but other than that there is little to 'listen to'.

Deepspacesamurai Stacy wrote: "Deepspacesamurai wrote: "I'd just like to say I'm glad I don't listen to the reviews of others. I'd miss out on great books. This one is great."

It seems you do not understand the concept of a boo..."

I understand just fine, thank you. Perhaps you could use some further explaining. Many of the more agreed opinions on books don't suit my taste. That's why I ended up reading the crappiest book series of all time...A song of Ice and Fire. Many others like that followed. There are these books that get glowing recommendations whereas wonderful books(IN my opinion) like the Clever trilogy and The Way of The Kings do not. So when I say I don't "listen to", I mean following great books like the Clever series regardless of mixed reviews. Hopefully that clears up your confusion.

Stacy The only thing I am confused about is why you have felt the need to post any of this here. How does a brief overview of your reading history have any relevance to my review at all? For that matter, how does anything you have chosen to share? It's pretty apparent from your first comment that your goal was never one of respectful conversation, and you have mistaken me for someone interested in the unintelligent and roundabout way you're trying to start a nonsensical fight with a complete stranger. I implore you to make better use of your time. Go read another 'wonderful book' perhaps? Or maybe even write your own review, instead of trolling mine.