Kana's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

** spoiler alert ** Original Take On This Book
While I was reading this book, at first I was impressed with the detailed universe the author had created. The general slight British monotone of the reader was a little hard to get over at first, since I went from American teenager-high-pitched voice to a seasoned soft-spoken reader. But I got over it and it fits the vibe of the book perfectly. Very dry humor, I love that. And I love it when reader's do the accents and attempts to change the tone based on the character. It helps make the book come alive, so much.
I generally don't like angel storylines because they usually are very preachy and religious. So I honestly am surprised that I even tried this one but I loved the cover art and the description focused more on the magic aspects, and steampunk-ishness. So I tried it.
So far they haven't even anything religious and I hope they keep it that way. But I get the feeling that if they even do, it would be very briefly. It's more about myths and legends than religion..so far.
I love the 'attraction at first sight' type stories. Yes yes, I'm a sucker for it.
Will, the heart-throb is a very smart-ass British guy, who flirts with Tessa, the heroine, almost immediately. So I'm waiting for that relationship to develop. (I'm already on Chapter 4 and so far, he's just teased her. But she admitted that he's her idea of a dreamboat hero she pictured in every book she engulfs herself in.)
Okay - further into the book now and I can safely say I'm sick of Will's attitude and 'I love you but get away from me!' behavior. I hope the girl puts more effort into the guy that treats her friendly and sweetly (the best friend) and not the bipolar maniac that acts completely childish. But we know she will end up with the idiot. And that annoys me.

Finished Review -& What I Didn't Like
I've never been so thoroughly disgusted with a book and the distorted view for men in general, that I actually wish I could give a negative star rating.
The universe that she created sounded interesting (obviously, that's why I got it.) But I was so let down, I don't even know where to begin.
Tessa, appears to have the making of a strong heroine, but this is never met in this installment. But that's just one of the problems I found with this book.
I think I will focus on the love triangle, since it's what has provoked such a strong reaction from me. First off. This book does not convey what a healthy relationship consists of.
If she were trying to make us fall in love with the hero (Will), she fell short....by alot. I can understand that she was attempting to give him depth, by making him push everyone away by being rude, but come on. There has to be a limit. In fact, every time he interacts with Tessa, he's either immediately kissing her, telling her he has feelings for her, then pushing her away from him mid-kiss (literally...she fell to the floor in one chapter), or he's outright calling her a slut by insinuating that the only type of relationship they can have is sex and that she's beneath anything beyond that.
Every time Tessa speaks of Will, the only words she seems to know to describe him is 'beautiful', 'perfect', 'gorgeous'. And since every interaction with him results in him insulting her, one can only imagine that her attraction to him is purely sexual. She knows nothing of him other than his 'gorgeous looks' and his constant 'flirting/push her to the floor' behavior.
(Which seems to contradict the whole point of Tessa, the plain ordinary girl who has a strong will and personality, with two 'beautiful' angel boys fighting over her.)
Speaking of the second boy, Jem. Jem is nothing but kind and devoted to Tessa. But does she even notice him in any way resembling to the way she fantasies about Will? Oh no, that would make too much sense.
Jem practically fawns over her, and she doesn't even give him a second glance.
The next two books have me on the fence. Like I've said, I think the author has a talent. The universe she created is bright and vibrant, easy to fall into. And her writing style is fun. But it's strictly the character's and their interactions with each other that bother me so much. It bothers me, because this is YA, and I don't want young girls swooning over the dreamboat, and think that Will's behavior is normal/forgivable/acceptable. Because it's not. And let's face it, our young people (and old people and everyone in between) are consumers that are completely stirred by materialism. We copy what we see on TV/movies/books/fashion magazines. And feel that's the type of thing that is normal/attainable/beautiful. Even if it means it's detrimental to our health or sanity. And we can't expect to change that without actually changing the definition of 'normal'. So my irritation isn't about the writing style or talent. But rather, my worry that this unreasonable behavior by Will,will be seen as being fine and alright. And that girls who are treated poorly by their real-life dreamboats wont think to themselves 'Hey this is BS, you cant treat me like this you jerk!' and think that's it's normal and that one day he will snap and be the lovable sweetheart they want him to be. Because life proves that's not the case. And the more girls that let guys treat them like crap, the more guys will think that it's acceptable, and it's just an endless cycle. I just want this cycle to stop.
I suppose I'm being harsh on this, but only because it IS YA, and it's directed to impressionable minds. I want our girls to know their worth, and not feel this is normal simply because that's how it is in the books they love. There, end my rant.

And with all that said, I am actually going to read the rest of this series. I just want our girls to see that being strong and not taking crap, is fine and a good thing. So please, make Tessa stand up for herself. And let's stop this trend of weak females in our YA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

03/20 marked as: read

Spider the Doof Warrior Yes, I've always wanted a man to treat me like steaming dog crap. I hate nice respectful polite men who are kind to me. Oh, no. I like rude, arrogant burks.

message 2: by Kana (last edited Jan 07, 2012 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kana I know.... I had a ton of other complaints about the story and yet there were some really interesting sections, but very few. I just couldn't look past the warped view. It scares me how young girls will read that and think it's normal or should be expected. Or worse, being attracted to that sort of guy. Yikes.

Synesthesia wrote: "Yes, I've always wanted a man to treat me like steaming dog crap. I hate nice respectful polite men who are kind to me. Oh, no. I like rude, arrogant burks."

Spider the Doof Warrior I know! What the hell is up with this trend? It's driving me crazy. I've seen it in several books so far. Men, who are total jerks, not in the slightest bit nice and girls swooning for them! AUGH!
For example, Edward is not so bad. At least he's nice to Bella. I read one book where the guy flips the girl off and she still wants him! Another where the guy sexually harasses her in class and she can't get enough of him. THAT IS NOT VERY HEALTHY AT ALL!

message 4: by Kana (last edited Jun 03, 2011 01:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kana I just want to shake these people. For one because it makes girls think that it's okay. And two, because it tells guys that this is how you should behave to get the girls.
It's this type of 'No means Yes' behavior that leads to sexual assault.

Dude, when did we end up in backwards land?

Spider the Doof Warrior Yeah! This trend has got to DIE. It's a stupid trend anyway. Jerks are NOT sexy!

Emily I am in love with Jem. I hate Will. I ADORED THE BOOK. I don't think the book was supposed to be all about the romance. And you know something? I think she ends up with Jem. Or neither.

Kana Jen makes sense, he's nothing but sweet to her. But I didn't really see any indication that she noticed him in any way other than a brother. I know there's going to be a love triangle with Jem vs Will... but I'm really hoping the author redeems Tessa... smack some sense into the woman.

Emily wrote: "I am in love with Jem. I hate Will. I ADORED THE BOOK. I don't think the book was supposed to be all about the romance. And you know something? I think she ends up with Jem. Or neither."

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria So this isn't a good read then? I'm still undecided.... I loved city of bones though so do you recommend it?

Kana Well, I haven't read City of Bones, and I've heard from people who have read both, that it's extremely similar.
My issue wasn't how good of a writer she is. But rather how she's written her characters. And since I haven't read the other series, I don't know if she did the same with them or not.
I don't know.. like I said, the universe she created has so much potential, it's just the people... So I suppose if you can get past the frustrations, then maybe?

Jacqueline Bonner I agree with your review, but I still really liked the book. The heroine of these books never end up with the guys I would pick for them. I guess I have gotten used to that and I focus on other aspects of the book.

Elena I personally loved the book. And Tessa's relationship with Jem does develop, and a lot, because she in fact understands that she can't always worry about Will who's treating her like crap.
But that's all in the second book.
And if that can help, Will's behavior is explained in book two, too, and it's kind of understandable in the end.

message 12: by Kana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kana I hope so.... I did pick up the second book this weekend, so I will be starting on that very soon.

Michelle Herondale The second book does explain a lot. I also believe Tessa likes will for more than just his looks. They have quite a bit in common.

message 14: by Kana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kana Michelle wrote: "The second book does explain a lot. I also believe Tessa likes will for more than just his looks. They have quite a bit in common."

See, maybe that was the problem. She put too little detail/back story about Will in this one and put it ALL in the second book. Or rather drew out the details of his troubles past too much? But at the same time we were really looking at the situation from Tessa's point of view in the first book and she really had no time to get to know these guys. So why should we? So I can see it from both sides...
I could tell there were reasons behind his behavior, but had no clue to what it was. And that was frustrating.
But I keep getting told that alot gets explained in book two, so I'm going to go into it with as much of an open mind as I can. Because I really do want to like this series. :/

Emily You're right, it was VERY frustrating how Will behaved to Tessa in the first book - you're SUPPOSED to be turned off by him since it is Tessa's perspective, who only appreciating him for his beauty and his shared interest in books/poetry after he turned her down and said she should be a prostitute. A lot does get explained in book two - you find out why Will behaved the way he did. I loathed Will in Clockwork Angel because I could not think of any reason for his behavior, but absolutely fell in love with Jem's personality, just like Tessa.

Clockwork Prince is literally one of my favorite books I've read in a LONG time. I recommend you read it, at least to understand the behavior in Clockwork Angel.

message 16: by Kana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kana Emily wrote: "You're right, it was VERY frustrating how Will behaved to Tessa in the first book - you're SUPPOSED to be turned off by him since it is Tessa's perspective, who only appreciating him for his beauty..."

Yeah that's what everyone is saying. So I'm glad I picked up Clockwork Prince. I still wonder if she should have let a little more of Will's history slip in the first book, just so we don't hate him as much in book one. But meh, oh well. I plan on starting CP next week. Thanks though! I'm glad I wasn't the only one ready to shake Will silly.

Graili I agree completely. I found Will's character funny at first and then extremely aggravating. I read a lot of male love interests like that in YA novels and I find it really annoying. (Hush, Hush; Don't die dragonfly; Vixen; Beautiful Days, Charlie to be more specific. They are all contain love interests that though are described as perfect are in reality are real jackasses.)

message 18: by Maine Lyn (new)

Maine Lyn This book would have been a lot better if it was written about Jem, I don't care much for the other characters at all -__-

Bryan A lot of the things u didn't like are expanded on and explained in the subsequent releases I thought the last in the series was the best

message 20: by Kana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kana Bryan wrote: "A lot of the things u didn't like are expanded on and explained in the subsequent releases I thought the last in the series was the best"

I did read Clockwork Prince and Princess and no, the excuses fell short. I still think stories like this will encourage teen girls to allow far too much abuse from their love interests in the hopes that their men will change or come around eventually. I think it also paints a pretty sexist view on what a normal man looks like (physically and emotionally). And I don't think that's a healthy or realistic attitude to have. Much less encourage.