Kristin's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, book-club-selection
Read in February, 2011

Ugh... I am neither a Tiger Mother or a Pushover. Granted, my daughter is only 4. Should I be concerned that she is not fluent in a second language, that she isn't reading and despite a year of ballet is not on deck to be a prima ballerina? Of course not. There is time for all of that.

I have taught middle school for 15 years. I see the impact of both types of parents. As a result I have 8th graders on the verge of nervous breakdowns, ulcers or both because their parents demand nothing short of perfection. On the flip side I also see parents let everything slide because "he/she's just a child after all".

There is a happy medium to be found. A life where children are taught that hard work and determination pay off, but there should also be time for play and celebration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geralyn (new)

Geralyn This book has gotten so much (mostly negative) press, I am curious to check it out.

Kristin It's a very quick read! Definitely check it out... but it may make your blood pressure rise!

Christina I just finished this book and was reading through the comments. I wanted to tell you I LOVE your point about the extremes on both sides -- as I read, I kept being bothered by Chua's condemnation of "Western" parenting by only pointing to the extremes.

message 4: by Khadijah (new) - added it

Khadijah The way the world is evolving, I'd be worried if my kid isn't already learning a third language. You have to prepare your kids for the 'Future' world, and the future is different from the past that you grew up in. I'm in my 20s most people I know speak at least 2 languages. Most Europeans I know speak at least 3 but on average 4 languages.

Kristin Khadijah wrote: "The way the world is evolving, I'd be worried if my kid isn't already learning a third language. You have to prepare your kids for the 'Future' world, and the future is different from the past that..."

There is time enough for all of that. I'm only 39, so I'm not that old that my past is all too different from your past.

Erwin Food for thought:
Children will not master a language (i.e. will not be a native speaker) if they haven't achieved fluency by around six years old.

If you don't think that is important, consider they way you feel your taxi is driven by a recent immigration from Eastern Europe. They're English can be very hard to understand. Yet, 99.9% of the Americans who speak Chinese speak far worse than those Eastern European taxi drivers. Spanish, French, German, Russian or Japanese learned from textbooks isn't going to be much better.