Evelyn's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Jun 14, 11

bookshelves: all-time-favourites, contemporary-classic, dystopia, read-in-2011
Recommended to Evelyn by: Too many to remember!
Recommended for: Everyone
Read on June 01, 2011

Can't believe I have never read this before. It is a beautifully simplistic dystopia, set in a society where firemen burn books instead of putting out fires. Ignorance rules because reading is illegal. Scary!
It's only until Guy Montag, a fireman, meets an intelligent teenager called Clarisse and starts chatting to her, that he soon realises that something is wrong. People aren't happy and things have to change.

This is now one of my all time favourites, I would recommend it to absolutely everyone (and especially those who read or intend to read anything!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

Quotes Evelyn Liked

Ray Bradbury
“We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?”

Ray Bradbury
“Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there.

It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.”

Ray Bradbury
“The terrible tyranny of the majority.”

Ray Bradbury
“There must be something in books, something we can’t imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house; there must be something there. You don’t stay for nothing.”

Ray Bradbury
“Why is it," he said, one time, at the subway entrance, "I feel I've known you so many years?"
"Because I like you," she said, "and I don't want anything from you.”

Ray Bradbury
“These are all novels, all about people that never existed, the people that read them it makes them unhappy with their own lives. Makes them want to live in other ways they can never really be.”
tags: books

Ray Bradbury
“A book is a loaded gun in the house next door...Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man?”

Ray Bradbury
“Do you ever read any of the books you burn?"
He laughed. "That's against the law!"
"Oh. Of course.”

Ray Bradbury
“If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.”

Ray Bradbury
“Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were heading for shore.”

Ray Bradbury
“You ask Why to a lot of things and you wind up very unhappy indeed, if you keep at it. The poor girl's better off dead”

Ray Bradbury
“That's the good part of dying; when you've nothing to lose, you run any risk you want.”

06/13/2011 page 100
52.0% "Didn't want to stop reading this last night - hoping I can find time later to finish it :)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca Baldwin wow, I never knew this was a distopia. I thought it was just about firefighters, which was why I never looked more into it. Sounds super interesting now

Evelyn It's brilliant, definitely read it! :)

Amanda One of my favorite books, glad you enjoyed it too!