Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > The Legend of Michael

The Legend of Michael by Lisa Renee Jones

Feb 11, 2011

bookshelves: pnr, dnf
Read from April 26 to 27, 2011

I read 100 pages of this book before I decided to quit and the main reason I couldn’t continue is because we are never shown of this romance between Michael and Cassandra. Michael is this super, elite, genetically altered GTECH soldier who first meets Cassandra at the beginning of the book. They are instantly attracted to each other. But right at the beginning, instead of letting us see how this relationship develops, we skip ahead two weeks (where we miss four dates of theirs but we are told they had a nice time) to their first sex scene (which only lasts a very brief moment – we skip over much of that too).

Chapter three starts six months into the future where Cassandra and Michael have been living in bliss – again – so we are told. They have become Lifemates, like a bonded couple. At this point one of the GTECH soldiers starts to lead a revolt, and Michael disappears, but right before he does, he makes Cassandra swear to not tell anyone they are a bonded couple. He then disappears.

Two years later (oh yes, we skip ahead AGAIN) Cassandra finds Michael again. I’m frustrated because this plot relies heavily on the angst that Cassandra has not seen Michael for two years, but honestly, about 70 pages in, and having skipped ahead SO many times, I felt absolutely no chemistry between Michael and Cassandra. Their romance is never built up. We never see their love, or their lust, or their friendship. We only are told of it. I had no care or interest about them as a couple at this point.

I did find the revolt led by another more dangerous soldier interesting, however, we are bombarded with information, and terms, and rules and it weighed down that aspect of the story too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legend of Michael.

04/26/2011 page 40
10.0% "So all of a sudden from chp 2-chp3 we skip ahead 6 months and hero/heroine have been living together entire time? We never get to see how they really get together" 2 comments
04/27/2011 page 100
24.0% "Going to try it for a bit longer but not feeling this one"
12/11/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Well crap. I think I already bought this one! I knew I should have waited for your review!

message 2: by Helyce (new)

Helyce Bummer. I love the concept of the whole alien dna-but not feeling a connection to the main characters...hmmm.

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo (My House of Books) I'm on p. 237. Will finish, by George.

message 4: by Colette (new)

Colette Thanks for the heads up-I'm reading this one soon.

message 5: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen BTW, I know there has been some question on how to review a DNF and this was beyond perfect. I got exactly what I needed from it.

Thanks!

message 6: by Has (new) - added it

Has I also felt the same way about the romance - there was no buildup and I also felt the rebellion and the reasons for the bad guys rebelling was just brushed aside too - felt like this was a prequel and the first book of a series to me all in one. I had to stop because I couldn't get into the romance or the plot.

message 7: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart Thank you for saving me from buying this.