veganjilly's Reviews > Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World

Veganist by Kathy Freston

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: favorites, nonfiction
Read from February 11 to 15, 2011

This is one of those books that, now that I have read it, I wish I had a million copies that I could just hand out to random people I encounter throughout my days! It is JAM-PACKED with a TON of information on nutrition, the harsh realities of factory farming, health, weight management, spirituality, food-borne illness facts, and that is just to name a few. Admittedly, there are chapters of this book that are very difficult to read. If this is your first time learning about the horrific animal abuse that takes place on factory farms, then this is a great place to get that information and then feel like there is something you can do about it. If you are aware of factory farm horrors already, then you might skim over that chapter. But what I loved about this author's approach was that she herself recommends you read these chapters AS YOU ARE READY. She truly meets you where you are, and I think that is the future of the veganist movement. Nobody wants to be told that the choices they are making in their lives are BAD and they are BAD people for making them. Shame doesn't help anyone or effect any lasting change (in my opinion!). We are all on our own journeys and doing what we can to improve ourselves every day. This book advocates JUST THAT: making small gradual changes, as we can and as we are ready, that eventually lead us to the person we want to be. In the meantime, we have all of the information we need to make those educated choices, and she also recommends several resources to help us along in our journey. I also enjoyed the fact that she discusses dietary change in relation to spirituality and religion. That our diets are a part of our spiritual evolution; not some isolated aspect of ourselves. Everything is inter-connected. This is an aspect of health and nutrition that, to me, is refreshing and quite frankly, long overdue! It is about time someone made that connection. So in conclusion, this book is an absolute gem. Read it and pass it on to a friend. I feel that this book will change a lot of lives, just like I was forever changed the first time I read "Diet for a New America" by John Robbins over a decade ago. Kathy is a fresh, uplifting, helpful voice. I didn't feel that she was speaking down to her readers EVER; in fact, you feel like you are just taking a long walk with a close friend who has something very important to tell you! And indeed she does! Great job, Kathy! (P. S. I also loved the use of the term "Veganist"... I hope to see it used more often!)
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veganist.