Iamthez's Reviews > The Society of S

The Society of S by Susan Hubbard

Feb 11, 2011

bookshelves: teen
Read in February, 2011

My roommate loves teenage vampire books, and I'm usually wary of them because they're just so formulaic: girl is fantastic and underappreciated, untimely death in the family, new relatives step in, sudden sekrit amazing magic powers, crazy adventures ensue, girl happy with new powerz and lives happily ever after.

This time, I decided to try when she described it as 'slow with nothing really happening but still good'. I have to say, it's an apt description. It's a basic coming-of-age story, that just happens to have a vampire element to it -- it's not a vampire story that happens to involve a teenager. Yes, there's some bad stuf that happens, which basically triggers the storyline, but the story is about her just coming to terms with being herself, whether that's a vampire or not. There's a very interesting back story to it but this book really is meant to set the scene for an interesting series to follow.

While you don't NEED to read this book first (I started with the second before being told there was a first one), it's helpful, and definitely enjoyable. I will be continuing with this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Society of S.