Kristin's Reviews > Pukka: The Pup After Merle

Pukka by Ted Kerasote

Jun 13, 11

Read from June 12 to 13, 2011

I absolutely loved Merle's Door and couldn't wait to read this follow up. In Pukka, Kerasote makes up for the lone fault I could find in Merle's Door, too few pictures. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who wanted more pictures of Ted, Merle, and their life together because this book is cover-to-cover photographs. While short on words (each picture is captioned with a few sentences of explanation), the pictures more than adequately tell Pukka's story.
Kerasote clearly figures many readers of Pukka have alrady read Merle's door because he doesn't go into the basics of life in Wyoming and how a dog fits in. Instead, he takes the opportunity to have Pukka tell his own story. Where Merle was already a grown dog, wise to life in the great outdoors when he came to Ted, Pukka is a puppy, and Ted captures many moments of discovery and learning. There are still some parallels between the two books, whether it's sniffing of poop to learn which animals to steer clear of or rafting with Ted on an expedition.
The love Ted has for Pukka is evident, as I didn't realize until the end of the book that it encompasses only Pukka's first 6 months. He has yet to discover skiing or Wyoming winters, yet there is still more than enough material to fill this book.
Definitely recommend this book to all dog lovers, especially younger ones who might not be ready to tackle Merle's Door but would enjoy an equally well put-together book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pukka.