Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)'s Reviews > A Great and Terrible Beauty

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: magic-time-travel, historical-fiction, 2011
Recommended for: young women, feminists, anyone who likes a strong heroine
Read from March 14 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy

a fast-paced, easy read...i was sucked in from the beginning. it's a beautifully crafted story about friendship, family, and destiny...and all the problems that arise along the way to self-realization.

i liked gemma doyle immediately, despite her attitude, or maybe because of it. she wants to be the london socialite she should be at the turn of the century -- the novel is set in the late 1800's -- but she's stuck in india with her parents who won't allow her to go away to london for schooling or balls or any of the fun things she's imagined. after her 16th birthday, she finally gets her wish...with dire consequences.

the friendships gemma develops are very real to me, as are the trials and tribulations they must endure. i love a good historical fiction, and it is obvious the author did her homework to keep the storyline plausible for the time period in which it was set.

i also liked that there were discussion questions at the back of the book, particularly those relating to the treatment of women in the time period described, how that would have affected the characters' actions, etc. gave me a lot more to think about than just what happens in the next novel. it made me understand that the novel wasn't just about the four girls...that i was supposed to question the ideals in place then, as well as now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great and Terrible Beauty.

Quotes Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Liked

Libba Bray
“There are no safe choices. Only other choices.”
Libba Bray, A Great and Terrible Beauty

03/15/2011 page 317

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This series is awesome!

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) you are sooo right. i can't believe it took me this long to get around to reading it. i didn't want it to end. and especially not the way it ended. :(

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

You finished?! Isn't it good? I feel like even though the ending was sad, it was perfect. It kinda left it open for another too, so I hope she writes another one! (But I highly doubt it!)

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) yeah, i'd love it if she wrote another, too, but it did end kind of perfectly, didn't it? i mean, there was still that hope to cling to. i really loved this series. have you read Going Bovine?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

No I haven't. It sounds kinda weird doesn't it? Haha I might give it a try at some point. I think I'll read Beauty Queens. That one sounds really funny.