Daniel Audet's Reviews > American Assassin

American Assassin by Vince Flynn

Feb 11, 2011

Read in February, 2011

Upon finishing "American Assassin" by Vince Flynn I realized how much I had enjoyed this book, on a lot of levels. Being an author myself I was greatly impressed by Flynn's obvious skill level in every index a person could and should look at. Sometimes being a writer takes a bit of the fun out of reading since I'm always analyzing (that's another blog post) but with Flynn's work you move through the storyline quickly and never notice you're doing it. This installment gives a very welcome and insightful background on our hero Mitch Rapp, what makes him tick and why he does what he does. I'm not going to speak of my personal views here on politics and war but I will say this - Flynn does his homework and speaks with authority and insider perspective on many issues as he threads his knowledge into the story. Make of it what you will, but top notch writing weaved into a great action thriller plot is what it's all about in this genre and why Vince Flynn is on top of his game with this book. It's a case study in great writing and if nothing else for the reader, a really good ride. I look forward to Flynn's next installment.

I'm on pg 313, and ready to go down the home stretch later today to finish this really great book. Flynn is one of the Top 10 thriller authors who rides the bestseller list like a rodeo cowboy, and after reading this fast paced page turner up to the 3/4 mark I can easily see why. This is probably my 5th or 6th book by Flynn, I routinely grab anything he puts out the minute it hits the book rack, like I do with Lee Childs, Michael Connelly, David Baldacci, Steve Berry, Clive Cussler, and Alex Berenson. This installment in the Mitch Rapp Series has us going back to the beginning of Rapps' start in the business of being an "American Assassin." Flynns' finesse in the backstory within a backstory is masterful to say the very least. And let me say this at this point - Regardless of your moral, political or personal convictions on the true life realities of this look into the darker side of international relations and world conditions this book is a mastercraft of writing by any standard and that's what this review is about. To compare the top male and female writers on this level is really to contrast their "voices", not to compare the skill levels, at least for me. I happen to respect very highly authors like Janet Evanovitch also, though that may surprise some. For the thriller fan reader this book will not disappoint. For the Flynn fan you can rest assured this is one of his best to date. Anyone else who may not be familiar with Vince Flynn's work, well, I recommend becoming a convert, like me.
More soon on my final thoughts and overall reaction to this book.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Next up on my reading list and a book I've been looking forward to is Vince Flynn's "American Assassin", the series starring classic character Mitch Rapp. I love this genre and Flynn is one of the heavy hitters in it always producing top notch work. I will let you know soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Assassin.