Evelyn's Reviews > V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

Aug 17, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel, dystopia, contemporary-classic, politics, anarchism, all-time-favourites, read-in-2011
Read from August 01 to 17, 2011

This is another of those books that I've waited far too long to read. V For Vendetta is a contemporary classic for many reasons and I couldn't agree more. The story of a masked anarchist who wants to bring an end to fascist rule in an England in the not too distant future, was always going to appeal to me, but it's Alan Moore's prose which really brings this concept alive. It's witty, political, dark and satirical, what more could you ask for? England prevails :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read V for Vendetta.

Quotes Evelyn Liked

Alan Moore
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof.”

Alan Moore
“Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. ”

Alan Moore
“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.”

Alan Moore
“Anarchy wears two faces, both creator and destroyer. Thus destroyers topple empires; make a canvas of clean rubble where creators then can build another world. Rubble, once achieved, makes further ruins' means irrelevant.

Away with our explosives, then!

Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world.
But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.

Let's drink their health... then meet with them no more.”

Alan Moore
“Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember.”

Alan Moore
“Authority, when first detecting chaos at its heels, will entertain the vilest schemes to save its orderly facade.”

Alan Moore
“Equality and freedom are not luxuries to lightly cast aside. Without them, order cannot long endure before approaching depths beyond imagining.”

Alan Moore
“Authority allows two roles: the torturer and the tortured. Twists people into joyless mannequins that fear and hate, while culture plunges into the abyss.”

Alan Moore
“Your pretty empire took so long to build, now, with a snap of history's fingers, down it goes.”

Alan Moore
“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”