Lisa's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

May 21, 11

bookshelves: harper-collins

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

Divergent is most definitely one of my favourite books. I don't think I can sing enough praise for it because it is just pure brilliance. From start to finish, the characters are solid and the plot is perfectly planned and paced. There is never a dull moment which lets the novel fall into the "must read in one sitting" category. Say...you've seen 32945 positive reviews? Rest assured, you'll be feeling the same. The concept of a society separated into coveted virtues is so alluring and intriguing. Living your life in a certain way because you had to? Not telling lies, not allowing yourself to look in the mirror, not fearing death? What. A. Way. To. Live.

The novel begins in Tris' faction, Abnegation, as she prepares for a test which will help her decide her fate. We easily see that she is not able to live her life completely, having to always put others before herself and sparing herself of luxuries. Factions were created to eliminate undesirable qualities but on the contrary, it simply forces people to go too much the other way. Blunt, self-denying, reckless, ignorant and superior - doesn't sound as good, does it? At her chosen faction, Tris is thrown into many exciting situations, ones you'll be begging for more of. Divergent is fast-paced and entirely gripping. The action sequences are written wonderfully and you'll constantly feel a thrill shooting up your spine as you anxiously await more.

Tris is an amazing heroine. Though skinny and weak at first, she becomes resilient and takes things day by day, being mentally strong and taking us on a long emotional journey. I think the character development in this novel was excellent. As Tris fights for what she wants, she matures and becomes a very different person, or rather, discovers who she really was to begin with. The secondary characters are also very enjoyable to get to know as they each have a distinct personality. All of the characters evoked many strong emotions from me, good and bad, going to show how great of an author Roth is.

There's an amazingly good romantic subplot in the novel and that in itself was a mystery! We meet a few male characters early on and for every single one I asked the question, "Is this her love interest?". Unlike many novels where it's obvious who the main character will end up liking, this one comes as a surprise and is not obvious from the very beginning, which I loved! Her love interest turns out to be someone who is complex, intelligent, strong and hot. Where can I get myself one of those?

I felt that this book was similar to The Hunger Games in that it's an action-packed adventure. This book also deals with sacrifices and the idea of doing things you normally wouldn't in order to survive and gain. In saying that, the similarities end there. Divergent is a unique book that will keep you on your toes. Unexpected things happen that will make your jaw drop and heart fracture. You'll be left wide-eyed after the twists. This highly-anticipated novel most definitely lives up to all of the hype and more! Fantastic characterisation and an always exciting plot. What more could you ask for?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

05/19/2011 page 200
41.0% "I'm in love!"
05/19/2011 page 378
78.0% "So tempted to swallow this in one sitting!"
05/20/2011 page 487
100.0% "DONE! Amazing." 26 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brodie LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE! Can't wait to hear what you think :D

Lisa Well I'm starting this one tonight so.... ;)

Esther I'm reading it now! and it is absolutely ahmazing!

Lisa Isn't it just? x)

message 5: by Esther (last edited May 20, 2011 05:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Esther Four...(real name here) FTW!

Lisa *sighs* Love him. I want more!

Jennifer at BookShelfery Divergent is definitely a Best of... Book!

Lisa On Amazon I said it was the best of 2011 ;) Well, so far anyway!

Naurarwen Just saved this to my amazon basket for later purchase. I loved the Hunger Games and seems as you have mentioned in you review that this book is like THG I definitely think I'll give it a go.

Michelle awesome review Lisa! :) couldn't agree more with...well, everything! ;) so excited with the upcoming movie :D:D

message 11: by Lisa (last edited May 21, 2011 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Thanks :) I need to stalk the studios. I want this movie now! Plus, I need to make sure they cast right ;)

Michelle haha, u can do that?? track 'em down and haunt their asses? ;D then im with ya 100%!!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Of course. I'm ninja!

Michelle if ur a ninja then im a spy xD agent 006 at ur service! (one digit away from the big guy ;))

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa HA! Goody, you can go get this ninja some coffee then!

Michelle nuh-uh, no way, spies outrank ninjas so badly, its only fair that YOU get ME coffee, wait, make that tea, i hate coffee ;). And did i say at ur service? i meant as ur PARTNER in crime, must be a typo xD

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa *eye roll* You wish!

Michelle lol! i do, and my wish is my command, so chop chop! haha, jks xD

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa In my opinion, Divergent = newer, better version of THG. Though Peeta will always stay with me. :)

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Pssh. Gale Schmale!

Fingers crossed the movie kicks butt!