jacky's Reviews > The Higher Power of Lucky

The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: childrens-chapter-books, 2011, lib-lew
Read in February, 2011

I knew only what was presented on the first few pages of this book - that the word scrotum was used and that Lucky likes to listen in on Twelve Step meetings. So, most of this story was pleasantly surprising for me.

I enjoyed the depiction of so many different characters and the run down setting. Particularly, I wasn't expecting Lucky's personality or problems. I was surprised at her love for science, and felt strong sympathy for her worry about her guardian leaving her.

I read through the last third in bed late one night while trying to get sleepy enough to go to sleep. But, the store pulled me in until I finished it, crying in the dark with my book light as my husband slept.

I liked the cover art, but wonder if it would give away the pivotal moment in the ending to younger reader as it did me. Though, I must say that even though I predicted the event from the cover, I was surprised (with welling up eyes) when that moment arrived.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Higher Power of Lucky.