Mailis Viiand's Reviews > The Van Alen Legacy

The Van Alen Legacy by Melissa de la Cruz

1954277
Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: angels, romance, vampires, ya
Read on February 11, 2011

Well it was more full on teen book more than it was Young Adult one. What occasionally annoyed me was the inconsistency between the silly shallow side and the doomsday serious end of the world side of the story. Usually i love black humor in strange places, but when its forced it loses its purpose and becomes tiresome after a while. Romance was non-existent for me, i read the fluffy words but it just didn't move me at all. I was surprised that if leaving all that stupid shoes and clothes stuff out of it, i liked Mimi the most. Others were just bland soupy creatures that stampeded around being miserable and self centered. Although sometimes even Mimi was hard to take in. For example she is in Brazil and takes on few of the local gang bangers, and kicks their ass and so on, and the local people thank her heartwarmingly when she leaves because what she and her people did was such a good thing, right? Well in real life she just probably would have been cussed at because local people would have known that when the bad ass foreigners leave the village borders, those local gangbangers who had been publicly humiliated will probably kill each and every one of the witnesses and their families and some besides them just to make the point clear. You cannot be a good gangbanger without keeping up appearances. I guess you cant always expect logic to prevail in fiction, i know, but when its there the book gets five stars from me. Make me believe what i read and i love you for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Van Alen Legacy.