Jill Furedy's Reviews > Fablehaven

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Jul 09, 2011

Read in October, 2008

This book follows in the kids book traditions of worlds like Narnia and Harry Potter. Kids stumbling into adventure and danger, discovering new creatures and new powers, having friends with the right skills at the right time (I'll always forgive an author that one though...if it was nonfiction, history is told by the winner...the loser often doesn't get to tell their side, so why not in fiction as well. Had things not happened just so, they wouldn't be telling it). The mythological creatures as a feature will often make me pick up a book , and I loved the wildlife refuge premise. I liked this first book just enough to keep reading, but by book 3 I was enthralled and eagerly awaiting the fourth book. I've got the whole store recommending this series to the kids who've read HP, Rick Riordan, etc and are looking for something new. If they are into the sci/fi fantasy of course, I realize this isn't everyone's cup of tea! I've also convinced several of the adults to read them too, and so far everyone has enjoyed them. Seems like they are catching on fairly well, they are listed as NY Times bestsellers after all...but they just haven't caught fire like HP and Riordan. Not sure why, as Riordan is fun but a bit formulaic. I found this series more creative and hope it continues to gain ground among young readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fablehaven.