Tim Haslett's Reviews > Shame on It All

Shame on It All by Zane

Feb 07, 08

Recommended for: everyone who ever had a sexual fantasy
Read in March, 2007

Got this from a friend as a birthday present and it confirmed once again that people underestimate Zane. You'll hear plenty of folks say she's the best writer of straight black women's erotica, or black erotica, or women's erotica. Thing is, she's just the best writer of erotica period.

Her literary style inaugurates an entirely new genre. Her craft is such that she truly develops her characters and turns up the heat at the same time.

I think it is important to state that I write this from the perspective of one white, straight, male

Another unique things about Zane is that she writes about black women who are able to enjoy great sex but they are never portrayed in a stereotypical, racist, sexist manner. In her writing, you just don't find a "ho" or "b****" or any other degrading representation of black women's complex sexualities. I maybe highly presumptuous in saying this, but Zane's rich imagination wants to find that space where black women can explore sex, explore their own erotic feelings, sensations, and fantasies, especially in relation to how Audre Lorde defines eros, and without guilt, condemnation, and without being called abusive, degrading names by all manner of people, and called ugly things by the media.

There is something very liberating about her books in that way. And really, in how many parts of American culture, whether movies, television, etc., can you find her kind of depiction of black women, one that suggests a (measure) of freedom from the tangle of racism and sexism.

I can only find one fault with this book and some of Zane's other stories and novels and that is that they are unbendingly straight. And I don't believe that's a failure of imagination on Zane's part. She's no homophobe, but it would be great to see LGBTQ folks populate her writing from time to time.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shame on It All.

04/25 marked as: read

Philly Purplelicious Yes finally someone else that fells the sam e away I feel about Zane's books. they always say that is always about sex but they never beyond the book or between the lines. I think that if some people would take the time out to really look behind the lines then they would see that she is a very good writer.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I was thinking this when I was reading Fifty Shades of Grey. I loved Christian and Ana, but that series had nothing on the quality and content Zane delivers. She truly is the best!