Vanessa's Reviews > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Feb 11, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011
Read from March 07 to 08, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

03/07/2011 page 141

message 1: by April (new)

April I saw this at the library yesterday, and almost checked it out. I have too many books as it is, but I want to read this.

Vanessa I've actually been wanting this for a while. It surprised me that I had not put it on my to-read list before now. I'm not sure it it's just a trilogy or a full series but book 3 is supposed to come out in March.

message 3: by April (new)

April This mus tbe one of the library books you checked out? You have to tell me how it is!

Vanessa Yeah it is. I thought they would take a while but they didn't, so i won't do this for a while. :D

This is my last one this batch, unfortunately though The Windup Girl is sitting at the library now. I may check it out and wait to recheck it out and then read it. But I'm not going to put any more on hold until I read some more of my own books.

And of course I will tell you how it is. :P

Vanessa Ok, so I heard a lot of good things before I read this book. One of which was, 'I didn't realize it was a zombie book until the middle'. And to that I say 'Bullshit'.

I have to hand it to the author, she wrote well, and there were plenty of sentences I stopped for a moment and though, I should write that down, then I kept going. But it is a zombie novel. There isn't really any gory rending of flesh, but there are a few paragraphs because I was a bit grossed out, and the zombies are EVERYWHERE. I mean in the very beginning something happens with them, can't tell you what though. Zombies are present throughout the book and they are running from them.

I found the main character unlikeable, and somewhat annoying, and her romance... I wouldn't really describe it as such myself, more an infatuation, compared to her obsession with other things. Also love triangle, not so much. I kept wanting to scream, 'Forget about love! Run from the zombies!" Well, Mary's kind of on the same page, most of the time, and the love triangle, just really wasn't a triangle.

The story had promise, in the beginning, when you find things out about the Sisterhood, and the Guardians, but she promised readers things, and didn't deliver on them. And at the very end I think, 'Really? This is how it ends?' and I thought it was ok since there is a 2nd book. Turns out it isn't as ok as I though. The 2nd book isn't about Mary, but about another character, her daughter.

So, it was pretty good, but somewhat deceiving by the summary and what other people are saying about it, or maybe I'm being over-critical, I have a tendency to be harsh on books sometimes. Though, that being said, I did read it quickly. It keeps you moving, and is very easy to read. The thing is though, I didn't feel too much suspense in this book as a whole, from the love triangle, or from the whole running from zombies. Perhaps it was because the love triangle wasn't convincing to me and I knew who she was going to pick-even though I wanted her to choose the other guy-and after their brush with death so many times, it was hard to wonder who, if anyone, was going to die now.

I'm not sure if I'll read the 2nd one or not. I've heard her writing is better, and the main character is more likable. But the real reason I might actually read the next one is to find out more about the Sisterhood, and all that. It just won't be in the immediate future.

message 6: by April (new)

April Good review, Nessa. So, I can mark this off my list. It doesn't really sound like anything I'd want to read.

Vanessa Thanks. Yeah, so disappointing.