Paradoxical's Reviews > The Iron Daughter

1964421
Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in February, 2011

Dear main character, after countless of warnings from Ash, you really should listen to the fey and realize that he is going to be acting like he does for a reason. And to expect it. Honestly, the way Meghan expected him to act nicely to her in an enemy court... I don't mind the fact that it hurt her (because, well, it should), but the way she expected him to behave any different was rather annoying. Yes, of course he could have betrayed you. Or, you know, you could just believe in the guy. Either way, Meghan should have seen this coming.

But once you get past that hitch, past Meghan's angst, the book becomes a lot more fun to read again. The iron fey are back and causing huge amounts of mischief (put mildly)--not that Queen Mab believes that. So now Winter and Summer are going into war with one another, while the real culprits are watching by the sidelines and plotting. There's a new Iron King in town, except he's not the real monarch, and an old enemy becomes a new ally. Said new ally is awesome by the way.

We see more of Grimalkin, who behaves in a way I believe all cats behave (which is to say, cagey and mysterious with a side of mortals), and while... stereotypical (of magical cats, anyway), I can't help but love him. What? I'm a sucker for these kinds of characters, I can't deny that.

We also have a new player in the game by the name of Leanansidhe who rules over her own little piece of the pie composed of exiles. She's not good or evil, precisely, but rather plays the game like all the other fey--with an eye on her own welfare and comfort.

Overall, I'm really pleased with this installment in the series. What I'm not so pleased about is this love triangle between Meghan, Puck, and Ash. I usually don't mind them, but this one just... Yeah, not a huge fan. Thankfully, the book focuses more on the plot than on Meghan's romantic relationships. Well, for the most part. You can't really escape it on the whole what with the entire Ash thing that has Meghan angsting everywhere. But Meghan, shoving the depression and the wallowing to the side, is much better in this book than the last. She's still impulsive and thinks with her heart too much, but it is understandable. She is improving and maturing.

Though, okay, that prom scene? Made me laugh. C'mon, really? She hasn't even been as school for like a year and she waltzes back to crash her school's formal. There is a reason behind it, but it's kind of hilarious at the same time. It is like... if there was some sort of ultimate wishful thinking on Meghan's part, the winter formal and everything that went on during it would be high up there.

The end fit. It made me sad and things didn't turn out perfectly, but there really was no hope for that in the first place. But it wasn't completely hopeless, there was some happiness, and I'm looking forward to reading the next book. A very solid 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Daughter.