William's Reviews > The Cry of the Dove

The Cry of the Dove by Fadia Faqir

Feb 13, 2008

bookshelves: africa, immigration, identity, favorites, romantic
Read in February, 2008

If you read fiction to escape, then you read literature to fall in love, and with this love collect for your heart the fallible gestures of human judgment that mark a life as you would know it. The Cry of the Dove creates a woman easy to fall in love with because her life encompasses the most human effort: to stake and bound an identity amid conditions that are powerfully imbalanced, but quietly, lovingly, individual.

The novel is constructed with evocative language and a speech broken only out the narrator’s mouth, for Salma Ibrahim El-Musa, sometimes Sally Asher, is nothing if not honest in the cruelty of her self-image, her Bedouin roots never not on display for judgment by her adopted England. Like her speech, scenes of the narrative are spilled like a bag of stones, skipping from present to past, but orchestrated in a way to muse here on religion, here on birth, here on desire, here on loss.

I don't know what to say that would express why I think this novel is so beautiful, just as I don't know how to encapsulate a life to make it tell as well as it feels. But I am in love with this complicated Salma, as much as with what she would hope to lightly carry as with how steadily she would march toward grace.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cry of the Dove.

message 1: by William (last edited Feb 07, 2008 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

William I'm in love with this novel. The narrator throws herself into a process of re-imagining an identity, while managing memories of an abbreviated life in her native Bedouin village.

message 2: by Souma (new)

Souma absolutely right William

message 3: by Ines (new)

Ines do you know any English or American novel that is close to this work in matters of theme?