Jenifer's Reviews > You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know

You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know by Heather Sellers

Feb 14, 11

Read from February 10 to 14, 2011

I spent a great deal of this book highly irritated with the author. She seemed completely clueless about her parents' mental illnesses and her own personal issues (like a dysfunctional marriage to an alcoholic who went to AA but could still drink two beers and be ok). Perhaps I am jaded by own personal experiences having a mentally ill father. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the idea that she was so utterly unaware of issues that seemed so obvious. There seemed to be a family propensity towards denial given her cousin's assurance that there was no mental illness in the family (despite relating that she had been in a mental health facility, one aunt had a nervous breakdown and another was a prisoner in her bedroom because of agoraphobia.

Clearly, her disorder (facial blindness) is rare and not well understood. I had never heard of it until this book. But how did a college educated, seemingly intelligent woman ignore that something was wrong with her go so long? I was also shocked by how so many people reacted negatively to her as if she just said she liked to kill little kitties.

The ending redeemed the book a bit because it seemed to have the most clarity of thought. I still don't get get relationship with her ex - or his parenting skills - and I still don't get her father and what was wrong with him.

I don't know if I can recommend this book because it was such a headache to read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know.