Jess's Reviews > With No Remorse

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 17 to 18, 2011

Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

The story opens with Luke, wondering, what now? Why is he doing this? Risking his life on missions, for what? He’s struggling to move past a near death injury that happened a year ago, and he’s a self-described ghost. Going through the motions, but not really there. It was a sobering reality of a Luke we hadn’t seen throughout the series. On the outside, he’s our fun loving, poker playing, medic. On the inside, he’s suffering. He feels very adrift, not really sure why he keeps risking it all on missions, but having nothing else to really live for.

Valentina. The famous model known by just her first name, has never had control. She was abducted as a young girl by her mother’s ex-boyfriend, and still deals with the trauma of that situation, being horribly claustrophobic. She’s on her own mission in the beginning, one of finding some peace and silence from her crazy world. Her high profile marriage ended in divorce after her husband was caught cheating and after she learned of that and other betrayals, she just needed to get away. Caught in the middle of an ambush, Luke saves her life and then they run for both for their lives from an unknown enemy and our story is off to fast pace start.

We get action from the first page – with the first part of the story giving us Luke and Valentina running from the enemies, and they have no idea who those enemies are and why they want Valentina. Everything was intense from the fighting to the romance, I think I finally took a breath around page 150!

As always, there are great scenes with Luke’s teammates, and a really nice amount of Nate. He’s always the man behind the orders, but to see Nate out there with the team and in action was a great addition. We meet a few new operatives that Nate brings in to be Val’s bodyguards when the final fight was nearing. But things never go as planned and a rescue mission is quickly needed for our heroine and her bodyguards after they're ambushed. The whole team comes together for the final fight and I LOVED so much seeing Crystal and BJ play important roles as teammates in the field, and not get shoved to the side or stuck back at headquarters. We all know they wouldn’t allow Nate or anyone stick them in a corner – but they played pivotal parts in the op and held their own.

There was a nice balance between the action and romance, but for me the book was all about Luke. Finally reading about the guy he truly was instead of the persona he put out there was heartbreaking at times, you just want this guy to find his purpose, and to find his way again. To see him and Val both struggle with commitment, especially Val being very skittish about trusting someone again, when everyone else in her life had let her down, it was satisfying to see their relationship progress throughout the book.

Jesus, this woman messed with his head.
“Thank you, Luke. Thank you – “
He pressed an index finger to her lips, gently cutting her off. “No,” he said, lowering his month to her. “Thank you.”
And then he tugged off her shades, looked her deep in the eyes and kissed her.
How could he not? How could he look into those liquid brown eyes and that valiant little smile and not kiss her one more time? How could he pretend that letting her go was easy, even though he didn’t have a clue why it was suddenly so frickin’ hard?

One of my favorite parts of any Black Ops book is the epilogue. Finding out little personal updates from all our favorite couples as Luke leads a poker game and having that wonderful final scene with our hero and heroine. And with the little teaser to the last book - let the countdown to Joe’s book begin!

Luke and Val’s story is not one to be missed. If you’re a fan of rom/suspense, the Black Ops series is a must read - 4 1/2 star book. There's plenty of action that we've come to expect in this series, smokin’ hot scenes, but the best were the touching, sweet moments between Luke and Val. An excellent couple.

How about a bonus Johnny Reed moment?

“Any questions?” Nate asked the group as he tucked a pistol into an underarm holster, then zipped up his coveralls to hide it.

“Only one.” Reed looked annoyed as hell when Crystal handed him his coveralls. “What’s with this khaki crap? I specifically requested blue to match my eyes. All right, people, ‘fess up. Who dropped the ball on this one?”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With No Remorse.

05/17/2011 page 1
05/17/2011 page 89
23.0% "Action, more action, Doc and Val - Love!"
05/18/2011 page 212
55.0% 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Tate, Dan & Hunter Aw, LOVE the BOI's - especially Gabe AND Luke. So, I can't wait to read this book. I am counting the days...

Jess You won't be disappointed! Luke's story is so well done and we get to see all our favorite BOIs in action. It continues to be one of my fav series!

message 3: by Rva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rva Booklover You are a girl after my own heart - you officially made my day with the Johnny Reed moment! He and Crystal are my second favorite couple of all time...Great review, can't wait! til this comes out.

Jess Rva wrote: "You are a girl after my own heart - you officially made my day with the Johnny Reed moment! He and Crystal are my second favorite couple of all time...Great review, can't wait! til this comes out."

:D I'm a HUGE Johnny Reed fan and I can't get enough of him and Tink! No Black Ops review would be complete without a small Reed quote!

message 5: by Kristin (new)

Kristin I told you people would appreciate the Johnny Reed quote!!! :-D

Jess Kristin wrote: "I told you people would appreciate the Johnny Reed quote!!! :-D"

message 7: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Jess wrote: "Kristin wrote: "I told you people would appreciate the Johnny Reed quote!!! :-D"

I consider it an act of great restraint that I kept it to just one quote. There were plenty bookmarked!"

Haaa!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Tate, Dan & Hunter Rva wrote: "You are a girl after my own heart - you officially made my day with the Johnny Reed moment! He and Crystal are my second favorite couple of all time...Great review, can't wait! til this comes out."

Which couple is your fav of all time?

Jess Baba wrote: "Rva wrote: "You are a girl after my own heart - you officially made my day with the Johnny Reed moment! He and Crystal are my second favorite couple of all time...Great review, can't wait! til this..."

In the BOI series - Reed and Tink, I loved the build-up to their book and their story was amazing start to finish...however, I reserve the right to change my choice after Joe's book! I have feeling he might beat out everyone!

Are you a Gabe girl? He runs a very close second to Johnny for me :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Tate, Dan & Hunter Jess wrote: "Baba wrote: "Rva wrote: "You are a girl after my own heart - you officially made my day with the Johnny Reed moment! He and Crystal are my second favorite couple of all time...Great review, can't w..."

Yeah, I AM a Gabe girl! But if you would ask me which couple is my all time fav then I'd have to say Luke Hutchinson and Em (Absolution by Kaylea Cross).

message 11: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I'm not sure I can pick an all time favorite couple, I love so many, all for different reasons. I've reread Haven Travis & Hardy Cates (Lisa Kleypas) story the most, so maybe they'd win by that fact alone!

I've never read Kaylea Cross - you've got me interested now to find out more about Luke and Em!

message 12: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Baba wrote: "Yeah, I AM a Gabe girl! But if you would ask me which couple is my all time fav then I'd have to say Luke Hutchinson and Em (Absolution by Kaylea Cross)"

OMG, just read the blurb and Absolution sounds AMAZING! Does it read as a stand alone, or will I be lost if I just read it and not the previous books in the series?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Tate, Dan & Hunter You could read it as a stand alone. ALL the characters of the previous books are there in this final "highlight". That's Rayne (Out of Her League), Dec (Cover of Darkness), Ben (No Turning Back), Rhys (Relentless). And I promise you something: they are all yummy and very HOT guys. You have to love them all. But as I said Luke is MY man. *sigh* There are readers who think you should read them in order. But you know I am not so picky!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Tate, Dan & Hunter Sorry, of course their women are there, too!!!

message 15: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess The series sounds so good, I'm getting book 1! I'm going to try to be patient and read everything in order, but I really want to jump ahead to Absolution, hee!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Tate, Dan & Hunter The first one is the "weakest". But even this book is really very good. Loved Cover of Darkness - Dec is a Navy SEAL. A lot of readers say that Ben is their fav. But you'll see... And I admired Rhys - he was also very special to me. There is a scene with his brother Ben...he's crying and Ben has to comfort him. Soooo amazing and I think that men should cry. That's no shame at all. Enjoy!!

message 17: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess That's ok, Book 1's in a series don't scare me, LOL! They're usually hit or miss anyway, but it won't keep me from reading them all.

Thanks soooo much for adding to my TBR pile ;-)

message 19: by Rva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rva Booklover Baba - Christian and Kat from Tara Janzen's Crazy Cool are my all time favorite couple. Johnny and Crystal are a close, close second. I've probably reread Whisper No Lies more than any other book, ever. Johnny just flat out does it for me.

Jess, I can second the Kaylea Cross recs from Baba. Just super books. Each builds upon the other, although I imagine they could be read as stand alones.

message 20: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Rva wrote: "...I can second the Kaylea Cross recs from Baba. Just super books. Each builds upon the other, although I imagine they could be read as stand alones. "

Nice! I'm excited to read them!

Auntee Awesome review! Especially loved the Johnny Reed quote at the end! He reminds me a little of izzy from Brockmann's "Troubleshooters" series.

message 22: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Mmmm Johnny Reed, he is just the ultimate hero. Getting to know him and Tink prior to their book (just like Gabe and Jenna) really upped the emotional level for me. That's what it feels like going into Joe and Steph's book too, we know them already and it'll just make their book mean that much more.

I think Cindy gave us a nice little intro to some new guys in the next series. Helllllo Primetime.

Auntee I love Johnny and 'Tink"--I want to read their book again!
I actually started reading "Show No Mercy" looking for a description of Doc, but wound up getting involved in it and reading it again!
What a great series.

And yes, "Primetime" seems like quite an interesting guy...