Bryan's Reviews > A Princess of Mars

Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, sf, fantasy
Read from February 10 to March 15, 2011, read count: 2

Transcript from the John Carter sessions
(from the files of Dr. Wm (Bill) Loney, Doctor of Psychiatry)

Carter: So where were we last time, doc?

Doctor: We were talking about representations of things that are ideals for you, and how they are expressed in imaginative fantasies.

Carter: What was that?

Doctor: (sighs) You were telling me about Barsoom and your adventures there.

Carter: Yeah... that's right. I traveled there, you know? It's Mars, actually.

Doctor: How did you know it was Mars?

Carter: There's no other explanation... Did you know they discovered an 8th and 9th ray there? Our rainbow has ROYGBIV, but they have two others.

Doctor: And what range of wavelengths along the continuous spectra of electromagnetic radiation would they associate with those rays?

Carter: Hmmm... I think it was #8 and #9... following Violet, which is #7, of course.

Doctor: Is Violet important? Associated with a female name, perhaps?

Carter: No, I told you the woman's name is Dejah Thoris. I am her betrothed. But it's a tragic love story, and here I am back on Earth... She is my princess Dejah Thoris, and I am her greatest warrior.

Doctor: Anagrammatic for "other jihads"?

Carter: No other woman came close to her perfection. I have never seen a finer example of womanhood.

Doctor: I seem to recall you saying that she was hatched from an egg. If I may speak abreast of certain delicate issues, was she lacking any particular physical attributes common to women?

Carter: (thinks for a moment) She can not tell a lie... And she lives with honor in everything she does.

Doctor: The unattainable finally achieved, and then irrevocably torn asunder. But tell me more about your heroic feats - you described your physical prowess as being somewhat godlike.

Carter: On Earth, I'm just an exemplary soldier. It's due to my many years of experience in fighting. But on Mars, I am the finest fighting specimen around. I think it's due to the weaker gravity and thinner atmosphere, but I can jump higher and move more quickly than the native inhabitants.

Doctor: Your glories epitomize physical perfection. Are there other, similarly awesome qualities you embody?

Carter: Well... I'd like to say I'm smarter too, but I tend to act first and think later. If only I'd remembered sooner about (view spoiler)... But I don't want to talk about that.

Doctor: I think our time is up. We've accomplished a lot. Please be sure to pay the receptionist on the way out. Yes, cash is preferred.

Carter: Ok.. bye doc.

Doctor: And don't forget to put on some clothes... I tolerate it during these sessions, but you really can't go around everywhere on the planet unclothed, you know. People will begin to think you're crazy...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Princess of Mars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »