Tara's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jan 12, 13

bookshelves: dystopia, thrilling, awesome, swoon
Read from April 30 to May 03, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

From Goodreads: In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

My Take: I LOVED this book. Within the first 10 pages I was hooked. I loved Beatrice/Tris and was instantly connected to her. Veronica Roth's writing is so detailed and interesting that I felt as though I was going through everything that Tris was going through. Everytime I turned the page I found my eyes straying to the end of the next page because I just wanted to read the book so fast to find out was going to happen. Tris is a strong character (Similiar to Katniss from The Hunger Games) and she is tough and brave and sweet and caring and selfless....Love, love, love her. And what can I say about FOUR.... Another strong character who also has a softer side. He wants to do the right thing..and he does the right thing and he also lets Tris be herself. I would definitely want FOUR on my team. This is the first in the series and now I have to wait for the next one. A great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.