Shawna's Reviews > Holly Lane

Holly Lane by Toni Blake

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, favorite-romance-series, series-destiny, small-town-lovin, toni-blake-lacey-alexander, holiday-theme, rt-book-reviews-4-stars, netgalley, arc-review-copy-galley, cheating-hearts-fidelity-issues, sports-romance-hot-jocks, childhood-ties-friends-sweethearts, friends-to-lovers, made-me-cry, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, 2011-reads, 4-stars, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, heartwarming, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-beta, hero-brooding, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, hero-too-yummy-perfect-to-be-true, heroine-girl-next-door, heroine-single-mom, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, i-read-kindle, kindle, steam-3-hot, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, animals-matter, kids-cute-faves-prominent-in-story, syrupy-sweet-sentimental-schmaltz
Recommended for: Fans of holiday themed contemporary romances
Read from October 12 to 14, 2011

4 stars – Contemporary/Holiday Romance

I intended to write a review for this long before now, but life has been rather stressful lately and sidetracked me a little. But better late than never I suppose.

Toni Blake’s Destiny series has all the things I love in contemporary romance: a charming small town setting, genuine characters, witty dialogue, humor, intense emotion, and steamy love scenes. I find that holiday themed romances serve as great reminders of why I enjoy reading romance and also help inspire me to get in the spirit, so a Christmas themed addition to the Destiny series was a joy indeed.

‘Tis the Season for reflection, remembrance, and celebration of what’s truly important in life: family, friends, love, laughter, music, food, and yes, romance. But Sue Ann, who’s still reeling from her husband’s emotional betrayal and their recent divorce, is finding the Christmas holiday season less than jolly. A quiet, solitary getaway at a remote lake resort seems like an ideal solution to help her get in the holiday mood, and the last thing she expected is to find herself stuck in a cabin during a snowstorm with her ex-husband’s best friend, Adam Becker.

Adam is feeling rather Grinch-ish about spending the season without his kids and isn’t any happier to find himself bunking down with Sue Ann than she is. Well, that is until their surprising mutual attraction sparks hotter than a roaring cabin fire and they discover all kinds of steamy, creative, and festive ways to enjoy being snowed in together. But once they’re back in their hometown of Destiny, things aren’t quite so simple, and Adam finds that convincing Sue Ann to take a chance on them might just take a holiday miracle. It’s a good thing he’s got a reindeer trick up his sleeve.

Being told “I’m not in love with you anymore” by the person she loved and trusted most left Sue Ann devastated and heartbroken. She’s struggling to rebuild her life and to heal and opening her barely mended heart and giving her fragile trust again seems too risky. But she’s determined to make the season not only as normal as possible, but also special and memorable, for her young daughter. Adam’s friendship and support brings extra cheer and warmth to their holiday, and when he gives her daughter a Christmas surprise she’ll never forget, Sue Ann learns that putting your faith, hope, trust, and love in the right person is a truly rewarding gift.

Holly Lane is a feel-good romance and a wonderful respite from the hectic holiday season. 4 stars!

I received this Avon/HarperCollins e-ARC from Lindsey Faber, Toni Blake’s assistant, via NetGalley.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holly Lane.

10/16/2011
100.0% "Great holiday romance! Review to come."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy oooh, i'm green with envy...can't wait for this one ;) enjoy!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nice review, Shawna! I started to read this series but have to admit that somewhere along the way my interest got lost somehow...

message 3: by Shawna (last edited Nov 11, 2011 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna I'm glad you enjoyed it, Wendy!

Thanks, Baba! Sorry it hasn't worked for you. I've enjoyed every book in the series, especially my favorites, Whisper Falls (Destiny, #3) by Toni Blake and One Reckless Summer (Destiny, #1) by Toni Blake. There's something about Toni Blake's writing that I just love.

message 4: by Wendy (last edited Nov 11, 2011 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy i did, thank you :) i LOVE what she did with this one. like you, "whisper falls" is still my favourite, followed very closely by "one reckless summer"... can't wait for amy's book!
okay, how do you get the book covers to show? that's pretty stinkin' cool!

message 5: by Shawna (last edited Nov 11, 2011 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna You can click on "add book/author" above the comments box and then type in the author/book to search and either choose the link or cover.

I'm looking forward to Willow Springs next!

Wendy cool beans, thanks ;)

Shawna YW!

message 8: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Shawna does the daughter turn up a lot in the story? I'm not a fan of romances with kids in them and things get all gooey sweet.

KA do you have to read the other books in the series first? i'm in the mood for some holiday reading, but i'd hate to be confused or lost.

Shawna Eastofoz, Yes, the daughter has a fairly significant part (at least in the second half) and there's a pretty big ooey gooey sweet scene with her, Sue Ann, and Adam. But she's a cute kid and not annoying or anything.

Kerianne, This works well as a stand alone read.

message 11: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Thanks for the info Shawna :)

message 12: by KA (new) - rated it 3 stars