Kirsten's Reviews > Varjak Paw

Varjak Paw by S.F. Said

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: read-pre-12-07, work-related, from-library, fiction, children-or-ya
Read in January, 2010, read count: 2

This is an entertaining novel, beautifully illustrated. It tells the story of one Varjak Paw, a cat from a noble line of Mesapotamian Blues. Varjak is a bit of an outcast in his family, what with his obsession with going Outside and his dislike of simply sitting around looking dignified. When the Countess (the owner of Varjak and his family) dies, a sinister man with two even more sinister black cats comes into the picture. Varjak must escape to the Outside, learn the cat martial arts, and return to save his family. The actual plot is not particularly strong, but it's a nicely creepy story, and the ideas behind it are very original.

I re-read this because I'm planning on reading the sequel, The Outlaw Varjak Paw, and wanted to refresh my memory. Overall three stars seems a little weak for this book, and four seem to strong, so call it 3.5. Four stars for intriguing characters, overall idea, and illustrations, and three for plot and a very abrupt ending.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Varjak Paw.