Tyrone's Reviews > A Kingdom Besieged

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed
Recommended for: Midkemia completists
Read from January 03 to 05, 2012

Despite being a huge Raymond E. Feist fan I have to admit approaching this book with some trepidation. Partly because the recent additions have not always been as good quality or held my interest as much a some of the earlier parts of the series. And partly because I know that this is likely to be the last entries in a series of books that have accompanied me through much of my reading life.

I've not always been as gripped by the Conclave of shadows as i was with the fate of the Kingdom. I also haven't been convinced by some of the adventures set in the demon realm. Therefore to be confronted by a prologue set in the Demon realm didn't provide me with the auspicious start I had hoped for.

That said the story of 'Child' gripped me all the way through to the final reveal. I also enjoyed getting back to basics with members of the ConDoin family back in the kingdom of the West, more specifically in the Duchy of Crydee. Surprisingly it was the stuff with Pug which fell a little flat. I've felt that Feist has struggled with this character since making him omnipotent. He's had to go to incredible lengths to create enemies that should prove a challenge to the most powerful magician of this or any age and at times those enemies just haven't seemed credible.

I was also surprised at how short this instalment was. I am hoping for a Romper Stomper battle to end all battles ending to my time in Midkemia. The 1st instalment weighs in at only 400 pages, then this final part of the story is not going to be as chunky as I am hoping for, that is unless he follows the cynical recent trend of publishing the final part of the trilogy in one or more books.

On the hugely positive side...Considering how short this one is, Feist does a tremendous job of scene setting, posing the big questions and setting up the key characters and getting across tonnes of information, without ever getting boring, priming this to be a gripping blockbuster end to my time in Midkemia. I for one can't wait to read the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kingdom Besieged.