Bj Stricklin's Reviews > Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God

Family Driven Faith by Voddie T. Baucham Jr.

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading-list
Read from June 30 to July 28, 2011

In Family Driven Faith, Voddie Baucham is sounding a trumpet and he is sounding it with as much force as he can possibly muster! Voddie paints a very bleak reality for the state of the American Christian family, and I am afraid that his assessment is accurate in far more homes than we care to admit. He highlights the horrendous stats concerning those who grow up in a "Christian home" only to walk away from their roots once they leave the house. The basic premise of the entire book is that it is the family's role to evangelize and disciple their children. Thus, the church's role is to equip the family to do so. (All of which I agree with.)

The book is so multilayered and has so many topics that it would not be helpful for me to try and hit highlights here. But here is my general assessment of the book and the recommendations I would give it (as well as the non-recommendations)...

1. If you take out the last two chapters (the ones concerning the church), this book is a fantastic guide to the importance of and practical necessity of doing family worship in your home. I walked away extremely convicted and burdened over the importance of this. As a parent, this book is a very informing and challenging read. (With this being said, I think Baucham takes too hard a line on the issue of home-schooling. I agree with his point that parents have to take responsibility for their child's education... in skills, knowledge and Scripture... BUT I do not think that homeschooling is the only means by which to accomplish that).

2. As a church leader, I think that Baucham's assessment of the apparent failure of the church to equip parents is dead on. HOWEVER, I do not agree with his proposed methods for a radical restructuring of our churches to keep families together during any and all spiritual endeavors. I do not think it is practical, nor do I think it will yield the long term evangelism rate he seems to think it will. I think a church like he proposes would gather a bunch of disgruntled Christian families and give them a place to hold a banner high and point fingers at all the "bad Christian families". I also do not feel that the model he proposes would give adequate space for the discipling of families new to the faith. Furthermore, I disagree with his assessment of modern day youth ministry as it pertains to Titus 2. I think that the modern day youth ministry (when done right) is much more in line with Titus 2 than Voddie gives it credit for.

Overall, I would say that this book is a must read for Christian parents who want to raise godly kids! Just put it down after chapter 8.

And for church leaders, it's helpful just to chew through those last two chapters to see areas that need to be improved upon as it pertains to equipping parents to be the primary disciple makers in the lives of their children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Driven Faith.