Caroline's Reviews > The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Feb 16, 2008

bookshelves: read-in-2002, young-adult, read-in-2008, steampunk
Read in February, 2008

I originally read this about 6 years ago, and thought it was an awfully boring book and hated the whole series. At the urging of a few friends who loved the series, I gave it another shot.

I don't know why I was bored the last time. I really don't. The action of this picks up so fast, and all of the intrigue had me going from the first page. I remembered Lyra as being an irritating character, but this time I really could get behind her and thought she was a great protagonist.

I mainly fell in love with the strange, unearthly world the book was set in. It's a little off-setting when you go in expecting it to be set in our Earth, and realizing more and more that it's a really strange steampunk version of England. The daemons are a very fascinating idea that I absolutely adored, and later the panzerbjorne are such an interesting idea! All-in-all, Pullman set up a great fantasy world for his series.

All of the controversy over the anti-Christian themes of this (which, honestly, I didn't even notice when I read it as a kid--then again, I wasn't exactly raised Christian, so it wasn't ingrained into my brain to notice all of that)... To me, he tells a damn good story and we should accept it based on that. I don't denounce The Chronicles of Narnia for shoving Christianity down my unsuspecting throat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Compass.