Michael's Reviews > Worth Dying For

Worth Dying For by Lee Child

Feb 24, 11

it was ok
Read from February 10 to 22, 2011

I think I may be getting saturated with this series but Jack Reacher is such a guilty pleasure read, it was hard to pass this latest one up. As always, our hero finds himself involved in other people's problems. This time he is still recovering from his near fatal ending in "61 Hours"(and this book came out only a few months later). That book took place in a nowhere town in North Dakota and he has only just made it to another nowhere town in Nebraska on his way to Virginia to meet his mysterious love interest from 61 Hours (Do I smell sequel coming up here?).
The plot is pretty standard Reacher. He comes across a town bully family that owns a shipping business and is into some type of illegal smuggling in partnership with the east coast mob. They are late on a shipment and they use Reacher as an excuse and also hope the mob boys will eliminate him. Reacher naturally butts in to set things right after one of the bully's wives is beat up by her husband and no body seems interested in helping her.
His adversaries keep getting escalated in this series since he seldom meets anyone he cannot physically dispense of with a flick of his fold-up toothbrush. This time it starts with the bodyguards of the town bully family - ten U of Nebraska Cornhusker football players (presumably third stringers) who are easilly dispatched as the plot moves along. So Child up's the ante by throwing in three sets of enforcers from the mobsters above the local family. Things get kind of silly as the NY mob enforcers are joined by enforcers from their Las Vegas Lebanese partner who are in turn joined by enforcers from their Iranian partner on up the chain. All are there to find out why this stranger seems to be messing up their shipment and to take him out while also elimiating the other middlemen between them for a greater share of the profits. There is a highly implausible twist in the plot near the end when we learn that the shipments everyone is protecting really aren't drugs and the local family is involved in it because of bizzaro reasons buried in their past.
I may read one more Reacher before putting him out to refresh his plots for awhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worth Dying For.