Karson's Reviews > Searching for God Knows What

Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller

Feb 06, 08

Read in January, 2004

He has a long section about Jesus that I remember liking. His lifeboat theory is what i remember most from this book. Basically that people feel more accepted when they are leaving someone else out. Your not in unless you can point to who is out. It makes you feel extra smug when there is some outcast you can concretely point to. Erik Erikson's theories of identity are in line with this. When you are forming your identity you need two things. A group of people you identify with, and a group of people you alienate. Without a group of people to point at and say "I am not like them" it is harder to know who you are. I think this could also be a big basis for prejeduce. Racism is like an attempt at sureing up your identity gone awry. People unify easiest when they have a common enemy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Searching for God Knows What.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brian Humek I just wrote a book on belonging and how we sometimes or most of the time, feel like excluding others and how that happens in the church way too often. I read this book years ago and I think the lifeboat section stuck in my soul, but my mind temporarily lost track of it. It's embedded in me, but I forgot where it had been embedded from. I wonder if that makes any sense.

Karson Yeah man. That makes sense. I formed my views on the in group/ out group stuff while growing up in church. I just observed. Now I believe that religious people have much more in common with nonreligious people than they would like to admit. Everyone needs a place to belong before they can get on with the rest of life, and we'll do a lot to secure that place of belonging.